PDA

View Full Version : Jasper 200 jig improvement (?)

Randy Rose
01-20-2016, 6:29 PM
Recently purchased a #200 Jasper circle cutting jig to aid in a current project.

Nicely made, very accurate and very affordable.

When cutting the O.D. of the pictured discs I found that the unsupported end of the plate was easily deflected (affecting the cutter angle/burning etc) by untangling the cord during circuits or even operating the on/off switch of my lightweight trim router. I`m not particularly "heavy handed"

Considered stiffening the plate with oak ribs but was afraid of drilling the required counter bores so close to the edge of brittle acrylic. ( no experience with plastic)

Ordered up some plastic from McMaster Carr in the morning, it was on my porch when I got home @ 4PM

Threw it on with Super Glue.

Not exactly elegant or pretty but the beam strength is vastly improved.

JME

James Combs
01-20-2016, 6:57 PM
Doesn't have to look pretty to be effective. Looks like the type of mods I am in the habit of doing to my own tooling although I may be a bit OCD about how mine look. Check out my recent router dust collector (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=329681&d=1453165597). As for drilling plastic, use fairly high rpms but drill the depth slowly and a little at a time with frequent pulling out the drill bit and cleaning away the chips especially on thicker material. Too fast and it melts and clogs the bit. Too low on the rpms and it tends to vibrate and crack. I drill a lot of acrylic pen blanks going as deep as 2+ inches.

Randy Rose
01-20-2016, 7:05 PM
Doesn't have to look pretty to be effective. Looks like the type of mods I am in the habit of doing to my own tooling although I may be a bit OCD about how mine look. Check out my recent router dust collector (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=329681&d=1453165597). As for drilling plastic, use fairly high rpms but drill the depth slowly and a little at a time with frequent pulling out the drill bit and cleaning away the chips especially on thicker material. Too fast and it melts and clogs the bit. Too low on the rpms and it tends to vibrate and crack. I drill a lot of acrylic pen blanks going as deep as 2+ inches.

Thank you for the "speed & feed" advice on plastics.

I am more afflicted with Q.E.D. ( quick,effective,dirty)