PDA

View Full Version : Elm Box

John K Jordan
01-20-2016, 12:59 PM
This box, or perhaps lidded end-grain bowl, is made from figured elm. The figure here was only in the very center of a large elm tree a neighbor had cut down and cut into chunks. The swirling figure probably went at least 60 ft up the middle of the tree. I made this box from a blank that has been drying for about 10 years.

I made this primarily to try out some designs for the Beads of Courage project, a drive to provide boxes for seriously ill children - there is a note about it on the AAW site:
http://www.woodturner.org/default.asp?page=2015Charitable
(http://www.woodturner.org/default.asp?page=2015Charitable)
If you have time, watch this video about the Beads of Courage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqfboMNNMWQ

These boxes can't have the "woodturner's pop" - the lids need to be opened easily, perhaps by a weak child. There are some specifications on size, etc. This one is not large enough for a Beads of Courage box. (I have a lot of wood but most of it is too small.)

The base is also fairly thick so it won't be too light, and especially, not too fragile. I'm not entirely happy with this first try but it's a start. I'm not thrilled with the shape of the lid either, especially the handle, so I might chuck it up and rework it a bit.

One thing I wanted to try was an idea to disguise the line between the lid and base and still make it obvious that it has a lid.

I "tucked" the join in a cove between the lid and base. Another view, rotated a bit:

I also wanted to try making a box that would still look nice without the lid, so it could also be considered a bowl. You can see from the size that this box is tiny compared to what is needed for a Beads of Courage box, but this is just experimenting with style.

The rim is slightly tapered, as is the inside of the lid. This makes the lid fit nicely without slop and is also easy to remove. Since both pieces are tapered, it is also easier to put the lid back on!

The bottom is slightly concave with just a bit of detail:

One thing about this turning that might be interesting. I generally use small cabinet scrapers instead of sandpaper for much of my smoothing. These little scrapers are various shapes, oval, rectangular, etc. If you haven't tried them it might be surprising well they can remove ridges and center nubs and other tool marks. (A steady hand with the gouge helps too!) I use the scrapers hand-held off the rest, at slow lathe speeds and often with the lathe stopped. Sometimes I unscrew the chuck and sit in a chair and scrape a bit. They have to be sharpened correctly.

I haven't used my power sander in years. The scrapers work better for me, preserve fine detail, and there are no clouds of dust!

Working that way, this piece needed only 600 grit paper to start and to end with. I applied two coats of shellac thinned 1:1 with alcohol, then several applications of Watco oil and a bit of 0000 steel wool. No buffing or wax.

Comments are appreciated. I want to try some variations and hopefully improvements on this same lid design.

I wish I had saved a truckload of the elm blanks from that tree 10 years ago! They might make nice gifts for turners!

JKJ

Allan Ferguson
01-20-2016, 4:01 PM
Nice design, different enough to distinguish it from any that I can remember. Excellent workmanship.

William C Rogers
01-21-2016, 1:27 PM
John, I like the design. I have made several lidded boxes, but I am still a beginning turner. I know what you mean about the handle. I think my best results was using a different wood for some contrast for handles. That piece of elm had a nice figure that is shown in the turning.

Jim Sevey
01-21-2016, 4:27 PM
I opened the thread and saw the box defore I read anything. Holy Cow! was my response. Beautiful wood turned into a beautiful presentation.

John K Jordan
01-21-2016, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys! Good clean fun.

As mentioned, I wish I'd kept a bunch of that elm. I have some left that I'm saving for the right occasion. The small block with the finish applied is 3x3x5" and might make a nice small box.

JKJ

Allan Ferguson
01-21-2016, 7:01 PM
That looks pretty special.

Mark Greenbaum
01-21-2016, 10:23 PM
These remind me of Arizona Picture Jasper I used to cut. Beautiful stuff, and creative box, John.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Good clean fun.

As mentioned, I wish I'd kept a bunch of that elm. I have some left that I'm saving for the right occasion. The small block with the finish applied is 3x3x5" and might make a nice small box.

JKJ