PDA

View Full Version : UPS pack & ship experience

Matt Day
01-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Anybody ever used this service? Anyone have a general cost? I know it depends on size/weight/packaging supplies, but should I expect to pay 2-3 times the shipping cost or something?

There's an online auction I'm looking at that will basically drop the items off at the UPS store and all costs after that are up to me. If like to have an idea how much to estimate for packing & shipping.

Thanks!

Robert Engel
01-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Too expensive in my experience.

Greg R Bradley
01-20-2016, 12:05 PM
I agree with Robert. I ship UPS and Fedex everyday and I've seen some of the prices people pay at those places to ship something to us and been a bit shocked.

Matt Day
01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Could you guys elaborate a bit? For instance, if shipping cost alone was $20, would packing and materials be $40?

Duane Meadows
01-20-2016, 1:44 PM
Could you guys elaborate a bit? For instance, if shipping cost alone was $20, would packing and materials be $40?

Been several years since I shipped that way, but I'd say yes at least, don't recall anything going for less than around $60 total. At least the company I worked for was footing the bill.

Rich Enders
01-20-2016, 2:05 PM
Matt,

Just for fun I priced shipping a knock down crib from Arizona to Northern California (a 13 hour drive). They wanted $175 to crate. The crate would measure 60" by 36" by 12" (one inch under their 109" L + W +D limit"). The crate on display for shipping a large painting was well constructed with a solid wood frame and plywood sides. The painting was wrapped in bubble wrap so all seemed secure. Total gross weight estimated at 70 lbs. They wanted $208 for freight. We have a company account with UPS and that quote was $158. When I mentioned that to the Pack and Ship he offered a 10% discount on the freight, so they do have some leeway.

Matt Day
01-20-2016, 4:20 PM
Thanks for your input guys.

Rich, that seems almost reasonable for something that size.

Figured I'd go to the source. I called the store and gave them some estimates to work with. 18x18x6, 20lbs, 4 things bubble wrapped would cost about $20 for shipping and $20 to pack. I just hope the lady I talked to knew what she was talking about.

Jim Becker
01-20-2016, 6:07 PM
The UPS Store (which are independent businesses) do provide a good service for this and the packing work is usually great. That said, you do pay well for the labor and materials. So it's a balancing act...the pain of assembling things yourself with the cost of materials and your own labor packing things up vs. paying someone else to do it. There are a lot of online sellers, particularly in auctions, who do this kind of thing...it shifts responsibility to the buyer that way. Estimating cost isn't easy because size, weight, shape and other factors enter into the cost, but if you have enough information, your local UPS store may be able to give you a ball-park.

Matt Day
01-20-2016, 7:29 PM
Understood Jim, that's what I called the store with some estimations. Thanks

Myk Rian
01-20-2016, 8:07 PM
but should I expect to pay 2-3 times the shipping cost or something?
We sent some Xmas gifts to Colorado that way. Almost choked at the cost.

Mike Henderson
01-20-2016, 8:10 PM
Too expensive in my experience.
Waaay too expensive. You can buy packing material and pack it yourself for 1/10 the cost.

Mike

Brian Elfert
01-21-2016, 12:20 AM
I know someone who opened a shipping store in the 1990s (not a franchise). The store ended up closing within a few years as it never made any money. Maybe it would have been successful as a franchise, but shipping stores don't seem to be printing money even as much as they charge.

Shipping stores are another business where it seems they could have much more volume if the cost was less. I wonder if they charged half as much if they wouldn't get three or four times the business.

Mike Null
01-21-2016, 5:42 AM
My local UPS store seems to be a thriving business. Even though I pay for daily pick up by UPS there are times when my shipments aren't ready in time and I run them up to the store. They are always helpful and appreciative of the business. A while back I had to have something packed for shipment and I was surprised by the good job they did and how little it cost. This particular store seems to do a lot of packing of a wide range of products.

Jerome Stanek
01-21-2016, 7:04 AM
I went to a shipping store to ship a gallon can and they wanted $48 to ship ups so I took it to the ups facility and they charged me $8

Matt Day
01-21-2016, 2:31 PM
Guys, my question did not involve how much I would save if I did it myself. I'm asking about have something shipped to me.

Myk Rian
01-21-2016, 2:46 PM
Guys, my question did not involve how much I would save if I did it myself. I'm asking about have something shipped to me.
Same thing no matter which way it is shipped. Why would it be any different?

Scott Pierce
01-21-2016, 2:54 PM
Anybody ever used this service? Anyone have a general cost? I know it depends on size/weight/packaging supplies, but should I expect to pay 2-3 times the shipping cost or something?

There's an online auction I'm looking at that will basically drop the items off at the UPS store and all costs after that are up to me. If like to have an idea how much to estimate for packing & shipping.

Thanks!

It's good that you called a local store and got a quote. I would take it with a grain of salt. It will be expensive. You will be paying retail rates, plus a packing fee on top of that. And keep in mind that now FedEX and UPS charged based on the higher of either the actual weight or the dimensional (size) weight, so light objects in big boxes can be more expensive. All I know is that it seems UPS and FedEX rates go up about 10% a year. My business offers free ground shipping. Ten years ago it was a very small part of the overall price, so absorbing it wasn't that big of a deal. But every year shipping rates go up (plus there are "temporary fuel surcharges" and random handling fees. Offering free shipping is starting to get painful!
All that said, I don't know why the seller is dumping an unknown shipping charge on you as the buyer. I would never want to buy something without knowing before hand what the shipping would cost. Why can't the seller tell you in advance? What auction site is this that allows unknown shipping costs after the sale?

Jerome Stanek
01-21-2016, 5:37 PM

Thanks!

Where is it being shipped from that will effect the cost

Jim Becker
01-21-2016, 9:21 PM
Same thing no matter which way it is shipped. Why would it be any different?
Because the person he wants to buy something from will only ship by having it packed and shipped by the UPS Store or similar. The OP is trying to determine if that extra cost is going to be worth making the whole purchase or not.

ron david
01-21-2016, 11:30 PM
I know someone who opened a shipping store in the 1990s (not a franchise). The store ended up closing within a few years as it never made any money. Maybe it would have been successful as a franchise, but shipping stores don't seem to be printing money even as much as they charge.

Shipping stores are another business where it seems they could have much more volume if the cost was less. I wonder if they charged half as much if they wouldn't get three or four times the business.

so if your boss cut your wages in half would he get 3 or 4 times the work out of you
rpn