PDA

View Full Version : Purchase advise (Bandsaw)

Daniel O'Neill
01-20-2016, 8:39 AM
I found this bandsaw (http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/5406341616.html) on Craigslist. I think it's a pretty good deal I just wanted everyone else's opinion. I've read here that some guys say half of new. Based on the prices I saw on Amazon he's asking about half of new. I really am just starting out and a planer was first on my list then a bandsaw but the planer that I'd like to get is a little more expensive so maybe that can wait. I figure this saw with the resaw kit should be all I need as a hobby guy and I can get a lunch box planer at a later date. In his email he said it's the 1hp model so that's cool. He's had the saw for 7-8 years and says he's not used it too much because he's a hand tool guy but obviously there's a resaw fence on the bandsaw so at least I know the saw can do that well. I appreciate any insight you guys have. One perk is that it's a 1/2 hour from me so that's cool but not a deciding factor.

Thanks
Daniel

Anthony Whitesell
01-20-2016, 8:59 AM
Picture looks clean. What does a 14" Jet with the enclosed base and riser go for new?

lowell holmes
01-20-2016, 9:23 AM
If the saw is what it appears to be, I think it is a very fair price. It looks like my saw.

Andrew Hughes
01-20-2016, 9:38 AM
I think it's price is high for a 14 inch bandsaw.Im also a handtool woodworker and I have two bandsaws I use a lot.

Daniel O'Neill
01-20-2016, 9:55 AM
Picture looks clean. What does a 14" Jet with the enclosed base and riser go for new?

The Bandsaw is $750 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006ANS4?refRID=4T39PV1EXGAXVSSZS66C&ref_=pd_ybh_a_5). The Riser Kit is $100 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223N9?refRID=4T39PV1EXGAXVSSZS66C&ref_=pd_ybh_a_7) I don't think it's the same base but just as a reference this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223LF?refRID=CAACN414JA9FC56MZXVK&ref_=pd_ybh)base is $142 which is said to go with the saw but does have a different style than the one on his saw.

That brings the total to just under $1,000. So he's asking $500 and that's about half.

@Andrew Hughes

Good to know thanks for the input. I figured if I was a hand tool guy I'd probably want a bandsaw to resaw if nothing else.

Art Mann
01-20-2016, 10:07 AM
If they won't come off the price very much, I would consider a new Grizzly G0555 series saw. They can be bought brand new with a warranty for $634 delivered. This saw is very well regarded by almost everyone who owns it. You hear more about this model on the forums than the Jet. I don't know why.

Julian Tracy
01-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Warranties on such tools are over-rated. That Jet is a solid deal at $500 or just below. Unlike the Grizzly, it will ALWAYS be worth $500, whereas that new $600 Grizzly will be worth about $300-350 the minute it's bought. Plus that $600 Grizzly probably doesnt come with a mobile base or riserkit.

Buy it with NO regrets. The $1200 powermatic has little to nothing on that saw. One thing I'll say about Jet tools is that I've always been impressed with their fit and finish, usually very nice looking and good working tools. That Jet will have better resale value always. And being able to off it quick with all or most of y0our money back allows you to jump on a great MM16 deal or similar if it pops up near you.

JT

JT

Daniel O'Neill
01-20-2016, 5:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. Definitely some food for thought. :)

glenn bradley
01-20-2016, 5:54 PM
I think it's price is high for a 14 inch bandsaw.Im also a handtool woodworker and I have two bandsaws I use a lot.

But it says "Jet" on the side; add 40%. :D:D:D As you notice from other threads Powermatic and Jet command a premium. However, the same folks that think they are worth that much more new think they are worth that much more used so, if you plan to sell it in the future I would buy Jet or Powermatic instead of Grizzly or BusyBee if the price was close. If its a keeper, the Grizzly G0555 series have a strong following and as you may have noticed, folks on here don't praise things that don't pass muster. I have Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Saw Stop, Supermax, etc. so I am not speaking from a prejudiced viewpoint, just from hands on experience.

John TenEyck
01-20-2016, 5:54 PM
I've been using a Delta 14" BW with riser for many years. As a hobbiest it's all I need but I often wish for a larger saw none the less. In particular, that 1 HP motor will make the saw VERY slow cutting if you try to resaw anything much over 6 or 8" thick. I have a 1.5 HP motor on mine and am glad for it. With a sharp 1/2" x 3 tpi blade it does a good job of resawing and cutting veneer from 10"+ maple, oak, etc.

JOhn

Rick Contonio
01-20-2016, 6:33 PM
Nothing against a bandsaw by any means. Do you have a table saw yet? If not, it would seem to me a much more versatile saw to start out with.

David C. Roseman
01-20-2016, 7:54 PM
If they won't come off the price very much, I would consider a new Grizzly G0555 series saw. They can be bought brand new with a warranty for $634 delivered. This saw is very well regarded by almost everyone who owns it. You hear more about this model on the forums than the Jet. I don't know why.

Have to agree completely with Art on this, and equally disagree with Julian. Suggest you study the features on the G0555, read reviews, and do a search for it on SMC. I think you'd be getting a better saw in this particular case. Plus, that Jet is 7-8 years old, assuming the seller is straight with you. Bandsaws can be finicky to keep in tune, and lots can go wrong with improper use/maintenance over that much time. Someone experienced with bandsaws who knows how to evaluate used machinery might look at it, listen to it run, make different cuts with it, and be able to say it's fine. But sounds like you're very new to this. The riser block is nice (it's 6", not 14" BTW), as is the enclosed stand and the mobile base. But a 6" riser for the G0555 is about $90, and a very nice mobile base is $75 on Grizzly's site.

If you do go with the Craigslist saw, I wouldn't offer more than $450, assuming it's in very good working condition. JMO. Good shopping.

cody michael
01-20-2016, 7:58 PM
I have the older blue version, it has served me well. I think I paid 200$ for it then added the riser

Frederick Skelly
01-20-2016, 8:34 PM
Buy it with NO regrets. One thing I'll say about Jet tools is that I've always been impressed with their fit and finish, usually very nice looking and good working tools.

I agree on this part.

John K Jordan
01-20-2016, 8:58 PM
I've been using a Delta 14" BW with riser for many years

Same here. Both the 14" Jet or Delta with riser are great tools. I've done a lot of resawing and processing of green wood into turning blanks with that saw. I later added an 18" Rikon with the same resaw height with no riser, but both saws are capable.

I personally think the bandsaw is the most versatile saw in the shop for general use, especially for wood turners, carvers, tinkerers, for repairing things. I use the bandsaws far more than my cabinet saw. However, I don't make cabinets.

JKJ

Art Mann
01-20-2016, 9:33 PM
Where do people get the idea that Jet is a premium brand? Those days are gone. I still like Jet pretty well and recently bought a Jet J/P combo machine. However, they are just another inexpensive Chinese manufactured alternative. They typically cost more than Grizzly but I don't see any justification for that. Maybe that is the reason you see all sorts of recommendations on forums like this one for the G0555 but you hardly ever hear about the Jet cast iron bandsaw.

Daniel O'Neill
01-20-2016, 9:58 PM
Nothing against a bandsaw by any means. Do you have a table saw yet? If not, it would seem to me a much more versatile saw to start out with.

Yes I have a table saw. Actually I have a Jet hybrid 1.5 HP table saw. Not the most powerful but it works well for what I need thus far. I have used it to resaw some red oak but that was a tough process. Fortunately the breaker panel is in the garage so that when I tripped the breaker it was but a moment to get things going again. Right now I'm in a half garage but still think a bandsaw & planer would be useful.

Bill Stephenson
01-20-2016, 11:20 PM
I have that Jet with the enclosed base & 6 inch riser block installed. It is a smooth running saw and I have experienced no issues with it. I resewed some 8 inch poplar yesterday easily, over that you just need to slow down some with the feed. The blade will have more effect on performance than any other part of the saw. As a hobbyist I use the "Wood slicer" blade and am very satisfied with the cut.I am also using "Cool Blocks" for guides. Learn to set the saw up and a good book to help with that is "The Band Saw Book" by Lonnie Bird. Glen is right on the resale, if you ever want to up grade to a larger saw. I believe that saw was made in Taiwan I know mine was. Much better quality than products from China. I see in the Grizzly catalogue they note where some of their machines are manufactured (china vs Taiwan). Have the owner run the saw for you with the guides pulled away from the blade it should be smooth & quiet. Good luck.

Matthew Hills
01-21-2016, 12:40 AM
Price isn't a steal, but can be a decent saw.
Bill's advice on checking it out is good -- make sure it runs smooth.
Some other points:

check if he has the table pin (looked like it was missing) -- this is meant to keep the two halves of the table in alignment. ~$15 to replace from WMH
Blades can go dull pretty fast; I'd only put value on unused blades
Those blades probably won't fit if you put the riser kit on
check that the blade guard stays in alignment when it is raised and lowered. if it moves relative to the blade, you'll have a lot more fiddling.
when you first arrive, see if he has left the blade detensioned (preferred) or if it was left with tension
take a close look at the tires -- $50 and some hassle to replace
if you haven't used a bandsaw much, ask the seller to show you how to set it up and get the fence aligned for blade drift.
even if you don't think you'd use a warranty, it can still be a point to raise in negotiation
do think hard about what you want to use it for. I did get a 14" saw initially (PM 044). Worked well for doing some curved artsy cuts. But really annoying to adjust the guides (think the Jet might be better in this regard) and table was small and... pretty soon found myself wishing I had something a bit bigger to mill some logs... but if you spend too much time here, you'll soon be talked into the startright (http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/5411171202.html) just so you won't regret it...

Matt

Daniel O'Neill
01-21-2016, 8:50 AM
Price isn't a steal, but can be a decent saw.
Bill's advice on checking it out is good -- make sure it runs smooth.
Some other points:

check if he has the table pin (looked like it was missing) -- this is meant to keep the two halves of the table in alignment. ~$15 to replace from WMH
Blades can go dull pretty fast; I'd only put value on unused blades
Those blades probably won't fit if you put the riser kit on
check that the blade guard stays in alignment when it is raised and lowered. if it moves relative to the blade, you'll have a lot more fiddling.
when you first arrive, see if he has left the blade detensioned (preferred) or if it was left with tension
take a close look at the tires -- $50 and some hassle to replace
if you haven't used a bandsaw much, ask the seller to show you how to set it up and get the fence aligned for blade drift.
even if you don't think you'd use a warranty, it can still be a point to raise in negotiation
do think hard about what you want to use it for. I did get a 14" saw initially (PM 044). Worked well for doing some curved artsy cuts. But really annoying to adjust the guides (think the Jet might be better in this regard) and table was small and... pretty soon found myself wishing I had something a bit bigger to mill some logs... but if you spend too much time here, you'll soon be talked into the startright (http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/5411171202.html) just so you won't regret it...

Matt

Thanks Matt

LOL I have the startright filtered out of my search results so I'm less tempted. Thanks for the check list I'll definitely make use of that.

Daniel O'Neill
01-21-2016, 8:56 AM
Where do people get the idea that Jet is a premium brand? Those days are gone. I still like Jet pretty well and recently bought a Jet J/P combo machine. However, they are just another inexpensive Chinese manufactured alternative. They typically cost more than Grizzly but I don't see any justification for that. Maybe that is the reason you see all sorts of recommendations on forums like this one for the G0555 but you hardly ever hear about the Jet cast iron bandsaw.

To be honest I've spent a lot of time looking at both Grizzly & Jet's website. My experience is limited really. I have a Jet tablesaw & dust collector. Previously I've used a craftsman radial arm saw, delta uni-saw & a delta bandsaw. It's possible that Jet is indeed taking the same path as delta did in terms of quality. The big reason that I like the idea of this saw is the mobile base & the riser kit and!!! it's a half hour from my house :). There is a delta with a riser kit in WI about 2 hours away with a 1/2 hp motor and no mobile base. I like the idea of the saw with the riser because I'd like to be able to resaw some taller wood once in a while. However, I won't likely be a furniture maker of note so I don't want to spend my tax return on a new tool :). (Which is why I appreciate Griz) I had a lot of WW tools given to me and so maybe my price threshold is low but I thought this one compared to the delta was a much better option with the larger motor. I also really like the smaller footprint that the 14" style saw has. I understand there might be slightly more flex than a solid piece like a Rikon or something like that but the 14" Rikon is $1200 if I remember correctly. There is a 14" Jet that can resaw 10-12" but that one is at least $1000.

That is a really interesting point. I do hear a lot more mention of Grizzly than Jet. And perhaps PowerMatic and Felder and Minimax too. My craiglist search is set up for bandsaw and all those brands but they haven't shown up for less than 1k except for a very old minimax in MI about 5 hours away.

Thanks for the help I do want a decent tool so I really appreciate your opinion Art & everyone else too.

lowell holmes
01-21-2016, 10:05 AM
I have the Jet band saw with the riser kit. I've had it for years. I'm not aware of any flexing. I have heavy duty spring in it. I've never had any issues with the saw except operator ignorance.

I would not be afraid of Delta either.

Frederick Skelly
01-21-2016, 6:11 PM
Daniel, FWIW, I have seen the 14" Rikon on sale for as low as $750 recently. You don't have to pay $1200. (And there are better machines to be had if you're going to spend $1200.)

I'd buy the one you saw for $500 if it checks out.

Fred

Terry Hatfield
01-21-2016, 8:00 PM
Unlike the Grizzly, it will ALWAYS be worth $500, whereas that new $600 Grizzly will be worth about $300-350 the minute it's bought.

JT

Anyone with any 1 minute old Grizzly tools for half price please let me know.

Julian Tracy
01-21-2016, 8:22 PM
Obviously an exaggeration, but the point is the Jet will lose none of it's value this year or in 5, the Grizzly at $780 cost will never be worth more than $400-450 tops.

JT