PDA

View Full Version : Holding Thin Stock

Travis Reese
01-19-2016, 9:33 PM
I was looking for a way to hold and register think stock such as paper or .025" veneer. This is what I cam up with. It's a .2" thick sheet of acrylic. There are a row of small dowel holes with acrylic dowels along the top and left side for lining up the sheet material. The dowels only stick 1/32" above the surface so that my autofocus can clear them. The larger engraved holes have sunken neodymium magnets epoxied in them that are flush with the surface. I'm still waiting on more magnets to arrive which is why some of the holes don't have magnets. The rectangular laser line between the smaller and larger holes is just a reference for an 8 1/2x11 piece of material. The center piece comes out for designs with enough support left that the sheet doesn't sag. You could also let it be sacrificial and keep it in. So far I've been able to leave it out. The photos of the finished piece was before I got the alignment just right.

David Somers
01-20-2016, 8:36 PM
Nice idea Travis! Especially if your stock is all the same size. If it varies you might look at two L's of acrylic. Kind of like two Carpenters Squares.

For my thin stocks I simply use N52 neodymium magnets. There are lots of low profile varieties with very strong pull. Works great if your honeycomb is steel like mine. They are especially nice if your stock has a rise in the center and when you dont want to place that side down for some reason.

Dave

Keith Winter
01-20-2016, 9:09 PM
Very nice cards Travis!