PDA

View Full Version : Shears - Looking for recommendation for table top model

Mayo Pardo
01-19-2016, 6:17 PM
I'm just getting a few orders for metal nameplates and so far have ordered them cut to size from a supplier. This adds time and slight expense but not unreasonable.

I was thinking about getting a shear to cut my own nameplates from .020 aluminum and brass
and since the sheets will be finished I don't want a shear that will mar the surface finish.
Not knowing anything about shears, this may be a non-issue...

I'm not against spending money on a good one that will last.

I'm guessing most sheet sizes I will work with would be 12x24.
I'm not sure what maximum thickness I may eventually need to cut.
What's your most commonly used nameplate thickness? I realize different applications might require different thicknesses but in general what's your most often used thickness?

Any recommendations for a shear would be greatly appreciated.

Kev Williams
01-19-2016, 6:40 PM
Any 12" guillotine shear you can buy from Marco or Johnsons will work great. Search the internet for the best price.

However, be aware that you can get them with metal blades, or plastic blades, and one won't cut the other. Well, they will, but not for long ;)

I've had one of each for several years, plus a 24" safety saw. Couldn't live without any of them, each one gets used every day...

vic casware
01-19-2016, 6:48 PM
Hi Mayo, I bought the 12'' Shear from JDS 2 years ago, I cut engravers brass and even steel .025 and aluminum up to .05
haven't had the blades resharpened yet. well worth the money. IMHO

Scott Shepherd
01-19-2016, 7:01 PM
One word....Accucutter....

http://www.accucutter.com

You can buy direct or through dealers. Great, high quality product, and great customer service. They have various ones, depending on how deep your pockets are and what you need.

Tony Lenkic
01-19-2016, 7:11 PM
Mayo, here is a ebay listing for one.............262243610838

Dave Gates
01-20-2016, 10:07 AM
I agree with Scott. Accucutter makes a great cutter.

Mike Null
01-20-2016, 10:17 AM
I've had the 3001/13 for several years. It's a lifetime tool. http://www.accucutter.com/Shear%20Comparison.htm

Keith Outten
01-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Another option, the Varga Safety Saw will cut metal and plastics. It won't damage or roll the edge of metal and leaves a perfect edge with no effort.

https://www.johnsonplastics.biz/detail/M37/1/1/VA10

Kev Williams
01-20-2016, 4:29 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and just say this: If you can find a used shear that's still in use, save yourself hundreds and buy it. It's hard to wear these things out:

This shear is pre-WWII I believe, my dad bought it from Hill Air Force Base in the early '70's, along with a 1941 Gorton 3-U pantograph. Operated by eccentric cam, it has a lot of grunt, still cuts 1/16 brass and 20 gauge stainless nicely.

This New Hermes shear we bought circa 1976--

- it was our plastic shear for 4 or 5 years, until we needed a metal shear too, so
we got another one just like it, and bought a metal blade for the first one.
Also in the pic is our safety saw, it's an early 80's unit we bought used from my NH rep
when it was a few years old..

There's not a whole lot to wear out on these things, a decent used one will work as well as any new one. Both upper & lower blades can be sharpened for around $60, new blades aren't too terrible either...

Scott Shepherd
01-20-2016, 5:57 PM
Nice one's Kev! It's hard to find old iron like those these days, isn't it? We just picked up an old Pexto 36" sheer last week. Probably 50 or more years old. I always keep my eyes open for that sort of stuff. You are proof that they last forever.