PDA

View Full Version : Disston Rehab

lowell holmes
01-19-2016, 5:11 PM

The Disston 4(?) came to me 10 or 12 years ago rusty and the tote was in pieces. I made a new tote at that time. Circle saw sharpened it for me.

I've gotten some use, but not much.
Today, I re-toothed the saw to 14 tpi and sharpened it rip. It took 3 attempts before the retooth was successful.

I'm not sure but I think the saw is over 100 years old. It says Disston Cast Steel
The metal thickness on the tooth line is .017" at the tip and .020" at the heel.
There is no taper verically that I can detect.

Thanks to the Ron Herman tape, it cuts like a banshee. I love it when a plan comes together.:)
Notice the sawset. It only took one pass to get a good set with the 42X.

Karl Andersson
01-20-2016, 8:07 AM
Nice looking saw Lowell - I think I have its mate as well as a dozen other saws that need sharpening. What would you say it is that the Ron Herman tape provides that the written instructions (like at Vintagesaws, etc.) don't? Also, did you modify the 42x to do the small teeth, or was it "pointy" enough, as made, to hit separate teeth at 14TPI?

Thanks for sharing,
Karl

lowell holmes
01-20-2016, 9:13 AM
Karl,
The Ron Herman video shows Ron setting up to sharpen saws and his techniques. He shows little tips and explains what he is doing and why.
It's kinda like "monkey see, monkey do".

I did have to file the 42x plunger to do the small teeth. It is thinner than it was before filing. I put almost no visible set in the teeth.
I mark every other tooth with a black sharpie so I don't get confused when setting the teeth.

The saw now feels like my favorite saw, my LN dovetail saw. It spits the sawdust out and brings a grin to my face.

Chris Hachet
01-20-2016, 9:45 AM
I love my LN dovetail saw. Vintage Diston is lovely to look at also....what here is not to like?

lowell holmes
01-20-2016, 10:56 AM
I am intrigued by the tooth line taper. I always thought taper ground saw plates were vertical taper. I have two D4's and they both have the tooth line taper.

Can anyone offer insight to this?