PDA

View Full Version : 12" SCMS "footprint" - DeWalt vs Bosch

Marty Tippin
01-19-2016, 4:24 PM
I currently have a DeWalt 12" sliding compound miter saw, mounted on the DeWalt "portable" miter saw stand. The horizontal "depth" that the sliding rails on the saw needs has always been irritating and - now that I'm considering building a permanent miter saw workstation (similar to Norm Abrams' on NYS) - I'm wondering how much less room I would need if I switched to the Bosch GCM12SD glide miter saw instead. It certainly looks like it doesn't take nearly as much room, and all reviews I've seen are incredibly positive on that saw.

Would like to hear from anyone (and see pictures) with the Bosh glide miter saw who's got it mounted in a permanent workstation type of arrangement. How far from the wall do you have to mount it?

Greg R Bradley
01-19-2016, 7:35 PM
Kapex requires 14.5" clearance from the fence to the wall behind it. I believe I measured the 12" Bosch Glide at about the same before I rejected it for quality control & table flatness issues. My Dewalt 10", and Rigid 10" & 12" non sliders are all around 12" from fence to wall clearance.

I believe the Hitachi rail forward sliders are also compact, similar to the Kapex and Bosch Glide. All the other sliders are stupid when backed against a wall. One of the reasons I sold my Makita 1214 was that it needed a wall to front of bench clearance of 38"........ And now here I am setting up an OMGA RN900 that needs 58".

Guess that will give you some ideas until somebody measures a Bosch for fence to wall clearance.

Steve Peterson
01-20-2016, 11:26 AM
The 12" Bosch glide fence can be just over 13" from the wall for simple angled cuts. It takes a few more inches to work through all the combinations of compound bevel cuts. I have mine set in a cutout in my bench and most of the time it sits 13" from the wall. I can slide the saw forward if I need to do a weird angle, although I can't ever recall that I have needed to make one of those cuts.

Steve