PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Juice

Gail O'Rourke
09-08-2005, 8:48 PM
You are wondering, what is she talking about? Well, I have this overgrown puppy, a 11 month old yellow lab...Woody, he makes those big brown spots on the lawn with his, you know, urine.

So, talked to new landscaper, he says, "feed him tomato juice"

Any advice from dog owners?

Bill Grumbine
09-08-2005, 8:53 PM
Hi Gail

We have Bubba, an eight year old golden/yellow lab mix. My advice would be to get used to those brown spots, but then if you saw my yard, you would quickly see that they are the least of my worries!

Bill

Vaughn McMillan
09-08-2005, 9:56 PM
I haven't heard of that one Gail. A quick Google on "dog urine" found this link (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html), which indicates it's an urban myth (and tells you more about the subject that you thought anyone would know).

- Vaughn

P.S. I gotta get an avatar with the wind blowing the other direction. You and me look like the Doublemint Twins in the wind (and I'm the ugly one on the right).

Joe Mioux
09-08-2005, 10:07 PM
I
P.S. I gotta get an avatar with the wind blowing the other direction. You and me look like the Doublemint Twins in the wind (and I'm the ugly one on the right).

THat comment makes my hair hurt. :) ;)

Gail, I can not see how feeding your dog tomato juice, an acid product, is going to change the acid in your dog's urine.

This assumes that dog urine is acid, which I believe it is.

If you want to change an acidic liquid, you need to buffer it with a alkaline product.

I really doubt that you can.

JOe

Richard Wolf
09-08-2005, 10:09 PM
How would you get the dog to drink the tomato juice anyway??

Richard

Jason Roehl
09-08-2005, 10:43 PM
A quick Google search turned up this:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html

BTW, Purdue has a highly regarded vet school.

Mark Stutz
09-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Gail,
We have a yellow lab as well. We also have the same brown patches in the yard. :( We have some dietary supplements that may or may not really work. We do our best to direct her to the back yard, so at least we are the only onew who have to look at it. My advice...get used to it. :D

Mark

Mark Singer
09-09-2005, 12:20 AM
I have Java a wonderful old chocolate lab and dexter...the chuauaua ...I programed the sprinklers to come on twice a day for short durations instead of once. This seems to nutralize the urine and no more brown spots....John was actually pretty good when he was here too...I only used the hose a coupe odf times,;)

Wes Bischel
09-09-2005, 12:28 AM
How about getting a green lab!? :eek:

Wes

My Dad would be proud. :rolleyes:

Vaughn McMillan
09-09-2005, 2:06 AM

Richard
I've got two dogs who'd drink it in the blink of an eye. :p Then again, they both like lettuce and raw potatoes, too. Heck, they want anything that resembles "people food" (the big one even eats pickles), even though we never give them leftovers or table scraps.

- Vaughn

Gail O'Rourke
09-09-2005, 8:03 AM
Thanks for the help and the links...I broke down and finally hired a landscaper...so I didn't want the brown spots after spending all that money, the trick may just be setting the sprinkler...but, then again, I have to get the sprinkler fixed...it never ends does it?

Thanks!

I have been pleased with my experiences here...you all are a good bunch..

Vaughn, next time you are on the beach (that's where I was when I took the picture) just stand the other way...or face east and I'll face west...oh, nevermind.

Jim Dunn
09-09-2005, 8:12 AM
Water, as mentioned before, is the only way to get rid of the salinity in the dog urine. Course if your dog was a female it would be worse:eek::eek:

One of you could stand in front of a fan and save the gas going to the
beach:rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-09-2005, 8:32 AM
Gail,

The only cure to those spots for my yard is to train the dog!! Now I only have one spot where he "goes". I only have to clean up #2 in one spot and I water that spot every other night with a sprinkler. Saves the yard and is less work!!

It is pretty easy to train them to go in one spot. Take them on a leash, treats when they go in the right spot, scolding when not.

Mike Cutler
09-10-2005, 9:42 PM
I think Woody needs a bit of training. He's not a bad dog just needs to learn to go where you want him too.
Like Jeff stated. Praise and treats for the right habit, and a little correction for the bad habits.
From someone that has trained a gun dog or two, you may want to consider a Tri Tronics collar. You will teach the dog more in 30 minutes, than in 3 months of following him around with a pocket full of treats,and a rolled up newspaper. An Electronic collar is simply an extension of the leash.
My dogs won't go to the bathroom unless there are leaves under their paws. Of course this backfires when the Vet wants a stool, or urine sample,and they send me out onto the lawn in front of their office.
The only thing I know of that involves dogs and tomato juice is skunks, and it doesn't work anyway. A 1 lb can of cinnamon, and the dog shampoo that the Pro's have does work, sort of.
Good luck. I own vizsla's, but have always had a soft spot for labs and chessie's

Phil Phelps
09-11-2005, 8:25 PM

Richard
add a little vodka and a celery stick :rolleyes:

Tom Hamilton
09-12-2005, 9:54 PM
Hi Gail:

The pet stores will sell you a take daily tablet that neutralizes the urine and eliminate the brown spots. The tablet is for the dog, not you.

Dr. Smith and Forster offer them on line, Petco etc at your local mall.

We used them with our Lab for years. They work.

Best regards, TJH

Gary Herrmann
09-12-2005, 11:32 PM
you just get used to the brown spots. We've had labs for years. Females are worse because they squat. Mark had a good idea about the sprinklers - we've done that at times as well. Mostly, I've just gotten used to having a less than perfect lawn in the backyard. When its wet and they run, they create bare patches and tracks anyway.

Now that we have a cat, the younger lab seems to find the contents of the kitty litter a delicacy. Ewww...