PDA

View Full Version : What are the set screws on the Infinity SS ZCI?

Wade Lippman
01-19-2016, 4:19 PM
I got around to installing my Infinity ZCI today. There are two setscrews in the side that aren't mentioned in the instructions. Their use is not obvious, but I presume they aren't there for looks. What are they for.

Lee Schierer
01-19-2016, 4:32 PM
Are talking about these set screws? 329737

Wade Lippman
01-19-2016, 5:19 PM
Are talking about these set screws? 329737

Yup, the "X and Y axis snugger screws". :)

Ben Rivel
01-19-2016, 6:40 PM
Yep, just there to snug up the plate so it doesnt move forward/back or left/right.

glenn bradley
01-19-2016, 6:47 PM
Yep, just there to snug up the plate so it doesnt move forward/back or left/right.

If it isn't tight in the opening it doesn't stay ZCI for long ;-)

Ben Rivel
01-19-2016, 7:02 PM
Ha! You would think that, but these things actually just sit in the opening via their own weight. There is no lock down really. The back part has a hook like mechanism that would prevent the plate from coming straight up and out, but you use the finger hole to just lift it up a bit then pull it forward to remove it. Not like the stock SawStop ZCI that actually has the back locking mechanism and the front locking lever.

Jebediah Eckert
01-19-2016, 7:45 PM
Sorry Wade, don't want to hijack but I think you got your answer. Those of you that have it are you happy with it? I have a SS as well and was thinking of going that route. My dado insert long stopped being zero clearance long ago.

Bruce Page
01-19-2016, 10:19 PM
I incorporated the side set screws in my home made ZCI just to snug it up. It is not locked down, it pulls out easily.

Joe Beaulieu
01-20-2016, 2:12 AM
I have the Infinity SS ZCI and I didn't know those were there. So much for my powers of observation. Mine fits pretty snugly in my PCS and outside of some minimal leveling I have done squat to it.

I do do have a question tho. Anyone having this ZCI - do you use the small screws that came with the unit to lock the interchangeable plate in? I lost mine - they weren't long enuf and fppppppell into the DC void almost immediately. I just left them out. Just wondering if they are critical?

TIA

Joe

Frank Pratt
01-20-2016, 11:02 AM
I got the ZCI from Infinity & it is a nicely made piece. But there is a fly in the ointment. If you level the back of the insert for one, then it won't be level for the other. So the OEM & Infinity are not quickly interchangable.

Another thing is that the inserts are made from a particularly bad grade of MDF & seem pretty soft & flimsy. More like cardboard than MDF.

Ben Rivel
01-20-2016, 11:15 AM
I got the ZCI from Infinity & it is a nicely made piece. But there is a fly in the ointment. If you level the back of the insert for one, then it won't be level for the other. So the OEM & Infinity are not quickly interchangable.
This is true, but I got around it by ordering a bunch of blanks for the insert so that I would have plenty and would never have to use the stock inserts again.

Wade Lippman
01-20-2016, 1:11 PM
Okay, I screwed up and didn't get it snug in the opening until after I cut the slot.

Now that it is snug I recut the slot. The saw teeth are 0.123", and the slot is now 0.127"; so I am 0.004 short of being ZC. I wonder if someone who did it properly could measure their teeth/slot so I have an idea how "serious" my error was.

Bruce Page
01-20-2016, 1:23 PM
Okay, I screwed up and didn't get it snug in the opening until after I cut the slot.

Now that it is snug I recut the slot. The saw teeth are 0.123", and the slot is now 0.127"; so I am 0.004 short of being ZC. I wonder if someone who did it properly could measure their teeth/slot so I have an idea how "serious" my error was.
Wade, you're talking the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bruce Wrenn
01-20-2016, 8:34 PM
Wade, you're talking the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper. I wouldn't worry too much about it.And remember that is split between each side of the blade. Your blade could have that much run out.