PDA

View Full Version : Bowl gouges cutting Video

Bob Bergstrom
01-19-2016, 3:38 PM
I'm doing a demo to night at one of my woodturning clubs. I shot the video with my iPhone 6 in one hand and the gouge in the other. A lot of my push cuts involve the flute up and incorporating the wing next to the wood. There are many ways to cut wood and this only shows one example. I was able to zoom in on my editing program and the phone captured video at 256 frames per second. Pay close attention to the quarter inch bolt on the magnet stuck to the flute of the gouge. As it rotates from horizontal to vertical. The shaving off of the various flutes designs is also of interest. The "V" are small and edges are serrated. The Parabolic is thicker in the center of the shaving and serrated at the edge. The "U" is somewhat even and smooth across the section. All are quite capable of cutting cleanly and personal preference is developed on what works for each turner. Here is the Youtube link
https://youtu.be/-V1UM5mgcaI

Dale Bonertz
01-19-2016, 5:25 PM
Cool video Bob.

David Delo
01-19-2016, 6:12 PM
Yep.......what Dale said!

Len Mullin
01-19-2016, 9:59 PM
Two thumbs up from me?
Len

Don McClure
01-20-2016, 7:47 AM
Amazing what can not be done with video with equipment we all have in our hands! A wonderful teaching aid,

John Keeton
01-20-2016, 8:00 AM
Bob, neat video. One thing the video can't show is the "feel" of each cut. Do you have any "take always" in that regard?

Mike Goetzke
01-20-2016, 9:12 AM
I really enjoyed this video especially the parts where you slowed it down and then up to full speed. Helped me see where the tool is really cutting.

Mike

Bob Bergstrom
01-20-2016, 9:26 AM
Bob, neat video. One thing the video can't show is the "feel" of each cut. Do you have any "take always" in that regard?
Yes John, they all are quite capable of producing a clean cut. The larger sweet spot on a parabolic flute may be the easiest to control. It seemed able to cut a thin even curl even though the edges of the curl are serrated. the bevel that cuts into the waste wood keeps the gouge in the cut and works in concert with the bevel area rubbing on the wood. It is kind of like a satellite in orbit. If one of the forces doesn't work with the other, it will come out so its path. A catch or no cut situation. I want to explore shear cutting with various tool, but it will involve a third hand

Bob Bergstrom
01-20-2016, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Goetzke;2518981]I really enjoyed this video especially the parts where you slowed it down and then up to full speed. Helped me see where the tool is really cutting.

Mike[/QUOTE
Mike, thanks for the kind words. This is only one approach. Cutting on the other side of the nose is a more predictable (less chance of a catch). Anything from 2:30 to 12:30 inside the bowl will cut well on either side of the nose of the gouge. Add in the variables of handle height, bevel angle and tool rest height and it can be quite a challenge. Practice and study will pay dividends.