PDA

View Full Version : Potential purchase or parts and rust basket case?

David Ashley
01-19-2016, 12:31 AM
Went to look at a Powermatic sliding saw today and honestly this saw has seen some abuse of being neglected.
Functionally the saw was connected to a Phaz o Matic, on low speed it seemed to take a few seconds to actually start, turn on click, then click then a few more, then it would start up, once running it switch to high speed with no issues. Unknown if this is typical or not first time with 3 phase converters. Seller didn't seem concerned.

Honestly the biggest neglect is it has been sitting unused and the cast iron pieces have a layer of rust, nothing to the point of pitting but a lot more then I would want to see. I didn't think to look at the wiring but if I go back would take a quick look for any potential varmint issues.

There is also the fact that Powermatic no longer sells sliding table saws and I'm unsure if part access in the future will be an issue.

Parts wise while looking at the manual there appears to be a small miter attachment missing that mounts to the slider and 1 screw down tie down for the large side rail miter. Also not entirely sure if all the parts for making angled cuts on the saw are available, seller said he had a few piece to find.

I was able to cut some melonmen while I was there and the saw had no issues cutting, not that I did a much cutting but I saw no issues, and im sure once setup would work wall for cutting.

Powermatic HPS-67.
Thoughts?

David Kumm
01-19-2016, 2:14 AM
I can't speak to the running issues. Three phase is pretty reliable unless the motor is bad. I think the machine was made for PM by Robland so you should check on their info to decide if parts are available. Dave

Jeff Duncan
01-19-2016, 11:01 PM
I'm not adverse to buying machines that need a little work or have a little surface rust.....but I don't necessarily consider them abused just b/c they've been neglected.....just my personal opinion. Abused machines I generally avoid as these machines have been dropped, driven into by a forklift, or generally beat to &%@$ and aren't worth the effort for me. You have to decide if the machine is worth is to you depending on the price and work needed. I'm also not real familiar with the Powermatic sliders, but for the right price I'm sure it would make a good saw.

sorry I can't help more than that....but good luck!
JeffD

Chris Hachet
01-20-2016, 7:33 AM
Good luck indeed. I am doing more and more of my work by ahnd, but still ahve need for a table saw. I see vintage resotrable amchienry go for appealing prices....interested to see how this works out for you.

Regards,

Chris