PDA

View Full Version : Kreg router table

Joe O'Connor
01-18-2016, 5:10 PM
Hello all, I just ordered the 1045 kreg router table. I have to wait a few days for delivery and thought I'd like to build a rail coping sled while I wait. Anybody have a good one they'd like to share pics of or know of a good plan available?

Also the description says it comes with a universal insert plate I'm wondering if that means I have to drill mounting holes? If you have this table I'd also be interested in your overall opinion of it.

thanks, Joe.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
01-18-2016, 9:58 PM
I have this router table and have been very pleased with it's performance. The top is dead flat and thick which helps dampen vibration and it's also very slick which is a huge plus. The fence is a breeze to use and locks down tight. I also purchased the Kreg power switch and Kreg casters which are well worth the price. The insert plate will need to be drilled to mount your router but I never used said plate because I have the Kreg router lift installed. It's expensive but it works flawless. I think it's made by Woodpeckers or Incra.

Marty Tippin
01-19-2016, 11:45 AM
I've got the same Kreg router table and use the Kreg router lift. The table itself is nice and the lift is generally easy to use. I'm not even a little bit impressed with the fence - sure, it locks down tight but it's almost impossible to get it square to the table or to use the measuring tape gauge to set it to a specific distance from the router bit. I even bought the Kreg micro-adjuster which is a neat gimmick but generally worthless, as there's too much slop in the mechanism when you have to reverse directions. Dust collection leaves a lot to be desired as well - the fence has a port for a shop-vac hose and does a good job when you're using a bit that ejects shavings toward the fence. But there's (as far as I know) no ready-made solution for dust collection below the table, meaning you either live with it or find a way to enclose the motor in the table.

I'm actually considering building my own router station from the Norm Abram's plans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0fLf3hoQk and adding an Incra-LS fence.

Coping sleds aren't too hard to make - just a T-track rail mounted to a piece of plywood with a hardwood fence on the end. The important aspect is making sure the fence is exactly perpendicular to the rail. If you want to get fancy, you can add a clamp to hold the workpiece in place.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
01-19-2016, 5:46 PM
The Incra clean sweep is a great addition to this or any other router table.

Dan Masshardt
01-19-2016, 6:31 PM
I like my kreg router table along with the switch and casters. The flip up stops work well too if you need them.

Kreg has plans on their website to make a cabinet. The stand has holes already in it too. I'm in the process of building a cabinet different from theirs. I will put in a 4" dust port.underneath as part of it.

I've been looking into coping sleds and think I'm going to go with the infinity. Pricy kinda put seems really nice.