PDA

View Full Version : Dinning table finished

Jeffrey Cole
01-18-2016, 3:04 PM
Thanks to all of you for the help in finishing my live edge walnut table. I chose this slab for the grain and wanted it to really pop with the finish.
Thanks again for your help!!
Jeffrey

John TenEyck
01-18-2016, 3:41 PM
Some pretty amazing grain in that slab. Very nice top, but the metal base leaves me wishing you had made a wooden one.

If those white streaks in the cracks are from powdered finish that got in there when you were sanding the top, you could get rid it with a vacuum or compressed air and then rubbing in some colored wax. Sorry, but I just have to ask. Why didn't you fill that big knot hole? Seems like stuff is going to fall through pretty regularly, or at least it would at my house.

John

Jeffrey Cole
01-18-2016, 4:22 PM
John, thanks for the reply. the cracks are my bad, I should of filled them with colored resin when working on the table. the metal legs are because I like mixed-media and do not follow the herd. the knot hole is just flat ass beautiful and why anyone would fill it is beyond me. also it goes with the live edge.
Jeffrey

Steve Burland
01-18-2016, 4:45 PM
+1
I like it also.
As long as you and your family enjoy it that's all that matters.

Larry Browning
01-18-2016, 6:10 PM
That is truly a beautiful piece of wood and a really nice finish. While others may disagree, I am really not much of a fan of the live edge look. I would have squared that up and probably cut out that hole in the middle of the table or maybe made something to fill it with maybe a contrasting wood. And that chunk of wood gone from the corner would drive me crazy. I do kinda like the metal legs though, but I would have never have thought to do that. I guess I am just too traditional without much imagination. I really like the chairs. Did you make those?

Brian Holcombe
01-18-2016, 7:18 PM
This is one of a rare set of circumstances where I can say 'Nice crotch' :D

bruce buren
01-18-2016, 7:23 PM
the hole definitely adds to the table, I would have left it as well! Nice work
I like the metal/wood combo

Victor Stearns
01-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Absolutely love it!
I am a big fan of the live edge pieces.

Terry Beadle
01-19-2016, 12:24 PM
That hole is perfect for shrimp tails and chicken bones etc. Jut put a small garbage can with liner on the floor and let it rip !!

Beautiful wood too. I think the warranty should be about 400 years ... or so.....stout !!

Love it!!

paul cottingham
01-19-2016, 3:47 PM
I am ambivalent about live egde furniture generally. But this table may make me a convert yet.....
Love the "flat ass beautiful" knot hole as well. It really adds character.

Beautiful table.

Chris Hachet
01-19-2016, 3:56 PM
Very impressed, the whole thing just works well together.