PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressors in Out Buildings

Mark W Pugh
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'll ask here. Any problems with locating a compressor in an outside, non-environmentally controlled, storage shed? I do live in an area that does freeze. Any type of compressor better for this situation? Any ones to avoid? Any other considerations?

Thanks

John Lankers
01-18-2016, 11:18 AM
I tried it this way on the farm to keep the noise out of the shop. Hard to start when it's cold, ice build up everywhere - bad idea.

Edit: My air compressor had a 5 hp motor on a twin piston pump, when the temperatures dropped below 0 deg Fahrenheit either the 50 Amp breaker tripped or the belts burned out and they were not cheap to replace.
The water separator becomes ineffective below freezing which makes the compressor useless for spraying applications anyway.
An air dryer like the ones found on trucks with air brakes would work, but is it worth going through all the trouble?

ALAN HOLLAR
01-18-2016, 11:24 AM
I bought a Sanborn 5 HP compressor in 1995, placed it in a shed at the side of my shop, replaced the oil with synthetic and have used it successfully since. In the northern mountains of North Carolina, the temperatures range from around 10 degrees to 90 degrees, depending on the season, and the synthetic oil seems to help it start up more easily when the weather is cold and the compressor hasn't run for a few hours. Keep the rain and snow off and drain the tank once in a while.

Lee Schierer
01-18-2016, 11:50 AM
I would think that any condensation anywhere in the system will freeze and create problems and could damage components.

Jerome Stanek
01-18-2016, 12:18 PM
I have mine in my unheated barn out side of my shop. Won't start if it is around zero other than that works good I do have a large water trap at the tank though

Tom M King
01-18-2016, 2:51 PM
Mine is in a shed open on both ends for 36 years now-5hp 2 stage I bought new in 1974. No problems other than had to change the pressure switch a couple of times. The contacts did get rusty. I took off the automatic drain years ago, and went to a manual valve.

Terry Hatfield
01-18-2016, 3:17 PM
I've had mine in an unheated pole barn style room on the back of my shop for many years. No issues. I have non-synthetic oil in it. I have the water seperator in the shop. Not sure that I've run it below 10 degrees or so but it's been below zero several times with no ill effects that I can see. It's a 5 hp 80 gallon Snap On.

Brian Henderson
01-18-2016, 3:48 PM
I would never do it in a non-insulated space. For one, the insulation helps with the sound deadening, but if you live where it freezes, and I don't, then you have to have it insulated, otherwise it's like any other tool that you leave out in the cold, it doesn't work so well.

Jerome Stanek
01-18-2016, 4:31 PM
Up here there are a lot of air compressors in unheated places you need a lighter oil but in 40 years I have had no problems and sometimes it gets below zero. Back in the 70's we had to use them outdoors and it was 10 below no heat in the service truck

Jim Finn
01-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Mine is in an un-heated garage and I have had no problems at all. It can get down to ten degrees here in West Texas.

Mark W Pugh
01-18-2016, 11:41 PM
I have mine in my unheated barn out side of my shop. Won't start if it is around zero other than that works good I do have a large water trap at the tank though

Perfect. Explain water trap. I'm in SE OH.

John K Jordan
01-19-2016, 1:18 AM
Mark, I keep several compressors here on the farm. I live in TN where it was 16 deg F today but is usually warmer.

I have had one small 110v oil-less pancake compressor in a lean-to on my barn for maybe 10 years now. It is under a roof and sheltered by a wall but open on two sides. I use it for airing tires and blowing water out of water hoses in the winter to keep them from freezing. (This idea hit me one day and has saved SO much effort!) I occasionally drain the water in the bottom. I have no water separators or downstream regulators on it - just a 4' hose to a retractable reel. This always runs fine regardless of the temperature. I think it has survived the cold because it is a small compressor and doesn't use oil and doesn't pull a lot of current to start.

My shop compressor is a 220v 5hp two-stage IR with a 60 gallon tank. I would never put this outside. You can hear the effort it takes to start the compressor. Since it uses oil, I would be afraid the oil would thicken in cold weather and cause starting problems. Do you want it outside to save space or for noise control? For noise, I use a sound insulated room for it and the dust collector. For space, I might try to insulate the shed or at least part of it. Another thing that might work is somehow use a heat tape to keep just the compressor warm. I bought such a tape once that was made to keep pipes from freezing. You would still have to deal with the condensation. If the distance to the shop is short enough you might run fairly large pipe directly indoors then put your water separator, dehumidifier canister (if used), and secondary regulator and valves inside where it is warmer.

JKJ

Jerome Stanek
01-19-2016, 6:15 AM
Perfect. Explain water trap. I'm in SE OH.

It is a filter that traps the water before it gets to the hose or pipe.

Charles Lent
01-19-2016, 10:56 AM
My 5 hp 14 cfm Ingersol Rand compressor is in an enclosed, but un-insulated and unheated addition on the end of my wood shop.
I've had no problems with it running here in central NC, but I'm running the synthetic oil that IR sells for compressors. I think it makes a huge difference when running in cold weather.

Charley

Mark W Pugh
01-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Do you want it outside to save space or for noise control?

JKJ

Actually both. I have an oilless one out there now. I was considering upgrading, but I didn't want to create more problems/work for myself.

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Hi Mark, I have a small oil lubricated compressor in my unheated garage, works fine.

Yes it gets cold here in the winter...........Regards, Rod.

Jesse Busenitz
01-19-2016, 6:47 PM
Speaking of air compressors outside..... I spent some time today trying to thaw the pipe that runs the pressure switch as it was 25* today and really cold last night. Thinking I need to come up with a better solution because I don't care to dink around on air compressors when I need to be spraying finish. So my recommendation would be to put it in some sort of insulated area.

John Donhowe
01-19-2016, 6:51 PM
While the increase in oil viscosity in cold weather might be an issue, the other one brought up- moisture in the air- should not be an issue.

The water vapor capacity of air drops significantly with a drop in temperature. At 25 degrees C (77 F), air can hold 20 g of water per kg of air; at 0 C (32 F), it drops to only 3.8 g H2O per kg air. Even compressed, the air will be much drier than at room temp, so much less condensation will occur than with ambient air at room temp. Even if there is some ice condensation, the vapor pressure of ice is much lower than water.

Doug Herzberg
01-20-2016, 10:02 AM
I have similar plans. From what I've read, you also need to consider keeping it cool in the summer. If the shed is too small and doesn't allow air circulation around the compressor, you might have problems. My shop is unheated and it gets below zero here. It has not failed me in winter so far.

Randy Henry
01-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Where I live, we get mud dobbers and wasps making nests anywhere they can. On my small compressor in my barn that I use to fill tires up, it seems like I'm always knocking those nests off. There is no way I'd want my big compressor exposed to all of that mess and potential problems. Plus, with the condensation, I don't need any moisture entering the air supply line. Even though I use traps and filters, I don't want the risk while spraying. Mine sits with the cyclone in a sound proof closet.