PDA

View Full Version : 2 way radios

Jack Clague
01-18-2016, 1:22 AM
Hi SMC guru's

Any idea what the majority of 2-way radio cases are made from?

I have been asked to engrave a large number for a local airport with registration numbers and i am struggling to find info on the type of plastic used for the majority of them. should get my hands on one tomorrow so i can check online at manufacturer specs but anything to be concerned of?

obviously this will be a creep up on it scenario if the plastic is suitable

Jack

Doug Griffith
01-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Most likely ABS.

Mark Ross
01-18-2016, 3:38 PM
Jack,

Most likely it is polycarbonite or ABS or something like that. Definitely would have to be good plastic as it has to stand up to wear and tear. I highly doubt it is anything made out of PVC.

Jack Clague
01-18-2016, 4:54 PM
Was thinking the same, thanks guys

Kev Williams
01-18-2016, 11:49 PM
I've been engraving Motorola 2-way radios for over 20 years, but never with a laser. I believe the cases are an ABS, but my customers won't let me practice on one with a laser so I'll just keep tool-engraving them...

Bruce Clumpner
01-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Track down a repair depot for the make & model you're interested in... I'm sure they have some broken cases you can practice on, and maybe cultivate another customer for the work as well...

Real Mercier
01-19-2016, 12:17 PM
I laser engrave Motorola 2-Way radios for a local ambulance service. They engrave fine. No problem.

Hope that helps.

Real Mercier

Jack Clague
01-19-2016, 6:31 PM
I laser engrave Motorola 2-Way radios for a local ambulance service. They engrave fine. No problem.

Hope that helps.

Real Mercier

Thanks Real, mind sharing your settings?

Bill Cunningham
01-22-2016, 3:01 PM
I was asked to quote a bunch of hard phone cases for a EMT service, the cases were polycarbonite. We decided to mechanically engrave them. Any leaks in your vent system on the laser will cause problems. You don't want to be inhaling the fumes from that stuff..