PDA

View Full Version : HDMI to DVI?

Wade Lippman
01-17-2016, 6:24 PM
I am looking at a new computer that has only 2 HDMI ports. My monitor takes VGA or DVI. I have a cable that is HDMI on one side and DVI on the other. Is that all going to work together?

Judson Green
01-17-2016, 6:40 PM
I dont think audio will go though the cable but that might not be a concern of yours

Brian Elfert
01-17-2016, 6:48 PM
It should work fine. I have been doing lots of conversion to/from HDMI at work for monitors.

Myk Rian
01-17-2016, 7:14 PM
If it fits the monitor, it will work.

Tom M King
01-17-2016, 7:56 PM
Not too unusual: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189057

Wade Lippman
01-17-2016, 8:13 PM
I dont think audio will go though the cable but that might not be a concern of yours
That actually raises my second question...
The computer has no speaker jack; perhaps because the audio is supposed to go out the HDMI cable?
It does have a headphone jack. Can I plug the speakers into the headphone jack, or is that different somehow.

Wade Lippman
01-17-2016, 8:16 PM
Not too unusual: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189057
My cable's DVI has two small blocks of pins rather than than one large one. Does that matter?

Art Mann
01-17-2016, 11:20 PM
I have plugged my computer speakers into the headphone jack on various computers many times. On some laptops, that is your only alternative. The big difference is that the headphone jack may have software controlled bass and treble or even an equalizer feature. The line out port is just a reproduction of the original source with no adjustments.

The computer has no speaker jack; perhaps because the audio is supposed to go out the HDMI cable?
It does have a headphone jack. Can I plug the speakers into the headphone jack, or is that different somehow.

Garth Almgren
01-20-2016, 2:25 PM
My cable's DVI has two small blocks of pins rather than than one large one. Does that matter?
That just means it is a single link DVI, good for up to 1920x1200 resolution. Usually that translates to about a 24" widescreen monitor or smaller.

Garth Almgren
01-20-2016, 2:28 PM
They do make HDMI audio extractors aimed more at the home theater market, but if there is a headphone jack on the computer you can just use that.