PDA

View Full Version : Milling rough cut, seeking advice from experianced bandsaw mill'ers about spruce

Thaddeus Severy
01-17-2016, 5:30 PM
Hello Everyone, and if you respond Thank you very much in advance.

A brief description, I am using my friends sawmill, a Hud-Son Oscar 236. My Friend gave me a quick tutorial and after that I milled 13,000 board feet of White Pine for my garage siding. My learning curve is far from over....

My new challenge: I am being given 30 to 40 8'-10' Spruce logs (Mixed---White, Black, Colorado blue and Norway). I intend to mill them. However I am told that my self education in White Pine is useless now that I am about to mill spruce.

After talking to 2 different people I have two different expectations. First I was told that milling Spruce will be much harder then white pine and that my blade may cause waving and/or dull easily. The second is that they will cut easily because they have lass sap/pitch in them.

My current status: Winter in Vermont, I will be milling between 25 and 35 degrees, the mill is tuned (straightened and level), I have water for blade lubrication (and can keep it from freezing),

I'm asking for tips, trick, warnings and any other advice that could help me mill these logs out as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Thank you for anything you can offer,

Thaddeus

Cody Colston
01-17-2016, 6:17 PM
If you milled 13k bf of White Pine, the Spruce should give you no trouble. I've never milled Spruce but it can't be any worse than SYP and that mills really well. A well tuned mill, a sharp blade tensioned properly and adequate lube will eliminate wavy cuts in any wood.

BTW, check out the sawing and kiln drying sub forum here. There are several really experienced sawyers there that can give you good advice.

Welcome to SMC.

Thaddeus Severy
01-17-2016, 7:39 PM
Thank you very much, I will take your advice and post this thread there. BTW, Since you spoke of tuning, I string and check level on my track every 3 logs, Blade tension is 35ft/lbs my torque wrench is calibrated, I have a continuous water source, and I change blades every 6-7 logs depending on size.

Thaddeus