PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt dado blade

tom van sickle
01-17-2016, 4:31 PM
Hi, does anyone not like the Dewalt DW 7670 - 8" stacking dado blade? I will be using it for hardwoods, I have an older 10" craftsman table saw. Thank you.

Ray Newman
01-17-2016, 5:08 PM
How much horse power does your table saw have? I was always told that a 6" dado is for less than 2 HP saws. Believe there is some truth to this as back in the early 1980's, I ran a Delta 1.75 HP contractor's saw and wired for 220v. Had to take the cut depth in increments and a slower freed as it just did not have enough power to swing an 8" set without laboring. Later upgraded to a Uni-saw, 3 HP and it will swing the dado with ease.

George Bokros
01-17-2016, 6:07 PM
I use an 8" dado set on a 1 hp contractor saw without trouble. I must say that I am not usually doing more than 3/4" wide by 3/8" deep dado though.

Rick Moyer
01-17-2016, 6:31 PM
I have the 7670, bought when I had a an older Craftsman table saw, but I knew I would be getting a Grizzly cabinet saw in the near future. I don't think it cut as well on the smaller saw, but it's great on the bigger saw. Not sure why. Any plans on upgrading the table saw anytime? The dado set is a good one.YMMV.

Wayne Jolly
01-17-2016, 7:43 PM
I ran an 8" dado set (not a DeWalt though) on my older 1 1/2 HP Craftsman for quite a while with good results. I now run it on a PM66. About the only real difference I noticed was the feed rate. The deeper/wider the cut, the slower you go on the Craftsman. But as George says, I rarely make any dados more than 3/4 x 3/8. I do remember one time I ran a dado on the old Craftsman that was probably an inch deep. The feed rate was obviously much slower, but it did it.

Wayne

scott spencer
01-17-2016, 8:11 PM
The 7670 is a great performer for it's price range. I've spun a heavy 8" set on my little Delta 36-600 compact saw for 2 years with no issues. Your saw should be fine. You can always take smaller bites if needed...it'l let you know.

Warren Wilson
01-18-2016, 1:41 PM
I am a hobbyist and only have a little DeWalt jobsite saw but have had no problems with the 8" dado set using it about once a week.

(I'd upgrade the dado set, but it feels odd spending more on a dado set than on the saw! :) )

Randy Rose
01-18-2016, 2:45 PM
Captain Obvious tip: please make sure your saw has sufficient arbor length to support the full width of whatever dado set you decide upon.

My Freud dial up set has a thick outboard flange due to the adjustable mechanism. The arbor length of my saw only allows the assembly to be expanded to .710 before I get nervous about thread engagement of the arbor nut .

glenn bradley
01-18-2016, 4:52 PM
I bought one when they were on sale on Amazon a while back. The price was too good to pass up. I have a CMT stack and a Freud stack as well. The Freud is my go-to for fine work, I generally save the CMT for plywood and composites, the DeWalt is not quite as clean or flat of bottom as the Freud but, it is a tough call.

Rick Moyer
01-18-2016, 5:28 PM
Captain Obvious tip: please make sure your saw has sufficient arbor length to support the full width of whatever dado set you decide upon

This^. You probably won't be able to do a 3/4 width on that saw.