PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 14/12 stand

Samuel Thompson
01-16-2016, 5:18 PM
So I just purchased a demo 14/12 and opted to not get the mobility kit because it was another $150. I noticed when I got the saw that the saw is sitting on a stand already and could easly be removed and swapped out with a custom lower unit that already has wheels integrated in it. I thought about just building a little roller kit and setting it on it but dont want to raise it up any more. I am wondering if anyone has done anything like this and has pictures?

Thanks,
ST

Mike Chalmers
01-16-2016, 6:57 PM
Wow, $150. When I bought mine in January 2015 it was $100 Canadian.

Why not just get a mobile base, such as this (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Mobile-Base/D2260A) from Grizzly?

Curt Harms
01-18-2016, 8:57 AM
Here's what I did. It ain't pretty but it works pretty well. My out-of-pocket $ was about 0, I used what I had. I may make another nicer version a little lower. Right now the b.s. table is about 2" higher than my Jointer/Planer & Table saw. I was thinking it might be nice if they were all about the same height to use one as an infeed/outfeed for another. I reused a Delta base whose lifting caster had seen better days. If I hadn't had that, I would have inserted an axle through the base in the back and attached a couple hard wheels. Pic 3 shows the lift mechanism with the front on the ground. Pic 4 shows the front raised to move. Stepping on the T hinge raises the front of the base to move it. Stepping on it again and pulling the rope lets the front of the base lower.

The proper b.s. table height depends, I think. Somebody shorter might like a lower table. A person using the saw primarily for resawing might like a lower table. A taller person doing curved work or scrolling might HATE a low table, it'd strain their back and be hard to see a line. I'm not sure there is a right answer but building your own base, you can make the height what you want and if what you thought was right isn't, it doesn't cost a lot to build another reusing the hardware.

Art Mann
01-18-2016, 9:30 AM
I bought the mobility kit for my Laguna 14/Twelve, though I didn't pay $150 for it. My experience is that the design is easier to engage/disengage and rolls around better than any other mobile base I have ever used - and I have several. I think I gave $100 for it and didn't consider it a very good value until I actually started using it regularly.

Doug Hepler
01-19-2016, 9:14 AM
+1 for Mike C and Art M. I got my saw as part of a package with base and lamp included. The mobility base works very well, but you could always add an aftermarket base to yours.

I would just add that the saw is heavy, which is why the stock base uses a foot pedal to raise the saw off the floor to move it. I like that it sits back on its own feet for use. It's also a bit top-heavy so be a bit careful about that when you choose your mobile base/wheels. Some mobile bases have rather small feet. Just my experience, but I have not had great success with shop-made mobile bases. They are easy enough to make, but it seems like I'm always replacing wheels after the tires fall apart. Maybe I buy cheap wheels or maybe I expect them to last too long.