PDA

View Full Version : Best tools for this job...

Gary Looft
01-16-2016, 5:00 PM
Hi everybody. I have a product in mind that I am trying to figure out how to create. I'm hoping you guys could tell me the best method for making it happen.

I know this is created with sheets of Baltic Birch in what looks to be 1/8 inch (3 mm) thickness. So do you think this is laser cut? Or done with a CNC? Or something else?

Thanks,
Gary

Ross Moshinsky
01-16-2016, 5:53 PM
Laser cut baltic birch. It's a shame they did all that work but were too lazy to quickly run over the last layer with a sander.

Bert Kemp
01-16-2016, 6:38 PM
yes laser cut you can tell by the charred edges and residue left on the surface. I agree pretty lazy not to clean it up.

David Somers
01-16-2016, 7:46 PM
And Green for the ocean depths? Curious choice.
Gary...have you looked to see if anyone is doing this in your area? These are becoming fairly common now.
And are you aware you can get the digital elevation models from US Geologic Survey for free? Assuming they are the resolution you want that saves you a ton of time.

Good luck! And for what it is worth, I sure agree with the gang above. Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.

Dave

Rich Harman
01-16-2016, 8:04 PM
I sure agree with the gang above. Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.

Another agreement here.

Gary Looft
01-16-2016, 8:58 PM
And Green for the ocean depths? Curious choice.
Gary...have you looked to see if anyone is doing this in your area? These are becoming fairly common now.
And are you aware you can get the digital elevation models from US Geologic Survey for free? Assuming they are the resolution you want that saves you a ton of time.

Good luck! And for what it is worth, I sure agree with the gang above. Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am not actually copying this design but I do want to create multiple levels like in the picture. I agree that they should have taken care of the smoke stains.

Thanks,
Gary

David Somers
01-16-2016, 9:12 PM
Hey Gary!

Those Digital Elevation Models I spoke of are basically a digital topographic map. All the contours are there for you. You can edit contour lines out as needed to get at the number of layers you would like. A Google search on USGS Digital Elevation Model will get you there. Even with a modest amount of editing on your part it sure beats sitting down with a paper map and a digitizing tablet. Unless you are a very zen-like person of course. <grin>

Dave

Ian Johnson
01-19-2016, 12:46 AM
Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.

Dave

They may have left the smoke residue on purpose. Maybe the client thought it made it look like an old-timey parchment map.

Roger Henrie
01-19-2016, 10:55 AM
They may have left the smoke residue on purpose. Maybe the client thought it made it look like an old-timey parchment map.
I agree looks better with an aged look.

David Somers
01-19-2016, 1:52 PM
Good Morning Ian and Roger!

Good points! Not to my particular taste for this kind of work, but I understand! A feature of laser work I will keep in mind depending on what I do.

Dave

Mark Sipes
01-19-2016, 3:47 PM
Remove because it upset Bert

.Touchyyyyy....

Bert Kemp
01-19-2016, 4:00 PM
Oh yea now there claiming you can thrive in business making tons of money with it. give me a break?
Sorry lets refer back to that thread and not make this a glowforge thread may we should remove the link!!!!

GLOW FORGE use 3d as there sales pitch.

https://glowforge.com/