PDA

View Full Version : Iroko Chip and Dip???

Michael Stafford
09-08-2005, 7:53 AM
Here is a turned piece that represents a couple of firsts for me. One, this is the first platter I have turned and secondly, this is the first time I have turned Iroko.

I got this piece of Iroko from my friend Rodger Barrow at East Wake Hardwoods. In doing some on-line research I found that Iroko is grown in southern Africa and is somewhat related to teak. I found that it turned very much like teak, seemed to have a lot of silica in it, tended to crumble rather than produce long stringy shavings and is somewhat oily. I decided to finish it in teak oil which seemed to soak in quite well.

This bowl/platter is 14 1/2" in diameter and a little less than 2" deep.

Keith Burns
09-08-2005, 8:09 AM
Another great piece ! The detail on the bottom is fantastic. Love the overall form as well.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-08-2005, 8:22 AM
It sure does look great. I love the changing grain in the peice. Also, looks like the dip container fits perfectly!

Dick Parr
09-08-2005, 8:33 AM
WOW Mike, I'm glad to see the finished product after talking about it the other night. It turned out very very nice. :) I bet Gail really loves it.

Great job my friend. ;)

Mark Cothren
09-08-2005, 9:24 AM
Mike, that is just great! Like has already been mentioned, the detail on the foot/bottom is fantastic! You're gonna have to talk to me about that one of these days soon...:D

Thanks for the picture!

Kurt Aebi
09-08-2005, 9:40 AM
Mike,

Just another masterpiece from Big Mike's Shop! You done a real bang-up job again!

It has all been said above about this piece and I concur - It's a Thing of Beauty!

Just one question reamains - now that Football Season is approaching, when's the Chip-N-Dip Party! ;)

Jim Ketron
09-08-2005, 5:04 PM
Nice Job Big Mike! looks great!

See I told ya you could do a platter;)

Loy Hawes
09-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Nicely done! The detail in the foot is very nice.

Robert Watsek
09-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Wow Big Mike...!!!! If I didnt know better I would have trouble believing that was your first platter.:D

Just beautiful detail........great job.....love it.;)

Bob

Glenn Hodges
09-09-2005, 6:28 AM
Beautiful and functional, Mike. I think the lack of a lot of fancy beads will make it easy to clean, and this will insure that someone will use it more, good idea.