PDA

View Full Version : My Sawmill Build

Sal Kurban
01-15-2016, 9:41 PM
I built a sawmill this past summer and tried it in the fall; it can slice veneer! It is based on Linn Lumber design. However by personality, I do not like to follow instructions and measurements. While the design is based on Linn Lumber's, I have my own measurements and modifications (detailed below). Another reason is that I wanted to minimize cost and use whatever I have accumulated in metal scrap etc.

There are several modifications to Linn Lumber design:

1) I have build my own track and log dogs.
2) I used a heavy duty compression spring to tension the blade. It is about 1/2" thick coil by 2" diameter and about 7" long.
3) I used a 3 phase gearmotor to raise the head. It is about 60 rpm and is appropriate speed for the 5 tpi acme rods. With a drum switch, it is a easy to raise and lower the head. I used a belt between the gearmotor pulley and the acme rod as slipping is preferred to breakage at the end.
4) As a main motor I used a 10 HP 3 phase 1740 rpm motor.
5) As the roller guides I bought some flange bearings, and chucked them to my lathe and smoothed them and cut grooves in them.

I then built a log arch wide enough to drop the log onto the sawmill track. The sawmill has a removable axle just to move it around. When in use I remove the axle and level the sawmill.

Danny Hamsley
01-16-2016, 7:22 AM
Very impressive!

Cody Colston
01-16-2016, 7:41 AM
Great looking build!

AL Ursich
01-16-2016, 1:02 PM
Nice work !!!

AL