PDA

View Full Version : Using Concealed Pin Hinges on a Box

steve gonwa
01-15-2016, 7:40 PM
I'm interested in making a box similar to the one in the attached image.

In the attached box, a concealed pin hinge holds the lid onto the box. But for the lid to open properly, the back edge of the lid needs to be rounded and probably the back of the box has to be rounded or perhaps made shorter than the front side of the box. At least that's what I think you have to do with a concealed pin hinge.

But this particular box seems to have a square edge on the back of the lid that matches the front edge. So that leads me to believe the back is slightly shorter than the front of the box to allow clearance. But then how does it stop when opened so that the lid doesn't flop over a complete 180°.

I don't quite get how this works !

Perhaps someone could refer me to a good tutorial on using concealed pin hinges.

Thanks for any suggestions !

Steve

William Adams
01-15-2016, 9:55 PM
I drew up and discussed making a similar box on the ShapeOko forums. Wound up being project #1 at project.shapeoko dot com

Search for: https://www.bing.com/search?q=shapeoko+box+project+wooden+box+with+hing ed+lid

Andrew Hughes
01-15-2016, 11:42 PM
Hi Steve,I have made a few of that style my favorite detail was a shallow groove with a cove bit.That allows the lid to rotate into the back of the box.The best way you will learn this is to do some test pieces.
The location of the hinge pin makes a differace how the lid rotates and if it needs to be rounded.
Gook luck.