PDA

View Full Version : Mounting 12" sanding disc with spray adhesive?

Alan Heffernan
01-15-2016, 5:56 PM
I have a Powermatic disc/belt combination sander. I put a new 12" sanding disc on the machine and the self stick adhesive on it has not held.

What kind of spray adhesive do you use for this job? I am hoping to strike a balance between something that works but that is also easy enough to clean when I need to replace the disc again.

Brian Henderson
01-15-2016, 6:32 PM
The regular 3M 77 has worked for me, they also offer a 90, which is a high strength adhesive, although I've never used it.

Bruce Wrenn
01-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Klingspor sells Sprayway 66 just for sanding disks. I go thru several disks each year sanding my Toys for Tots cars. Cut them out of sheet stock and spray back side. Once it's dry, attach to sander. Peel them off to wash them,and respray to reattach. Yes, I was my sanding disks.

Joe Cowan
01-16-2016, 9:21 AM
I went through the same thing recently with a new sanding disc not sticking. I ordered a new cloth backed disc, cleaned the disc surface with lacquer thinner, followed by alcohol, and the disc stuck perfectly with no issues since.

glenn bradley
01-16-2016, 9:34 AM
Sounds like the adhesive has failed due to age, storage method or whatever. Unless you can remove all the adhesive from the abrasive, you will always have that questionable adhesive as part of the bonding layer. Just having to re-do the application once would have me ordering a few new discs. I don't have more money than time but, my shop time is precious and I don't fool around with things like this any more; that's just me. If you have a storage condition issue in the shop due to weather, discs don't take up much room in the bottom of a sock drawer ;-)