PDA

View Full Version : advice on Fuji Q3 or Q4

Acharya Kumarswami
01-15-2016, 5:35 PM
I am deciding between the Fuji Q3 and Q4 spray systems.
Does anyone have experience and advice to share?

Essentially, is it worth the extra money to step up to the Q4?

Alan Lightstone
01-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Not sure if this helps as I've not used the Q3, but I'm very happy with my Q4 Gold.

Frank Martin
01-16-2016, 7:41 PM
Same here. Have a Q4 Gold with the gravity gun that worked well for me.

Marty Schlosser
01-16-2016, 9:56 PM
I have a fair amount of experience in using Fuji's 3 and 4-stage turbines (both the Mini-Mite and Q series), so can speak with confidence about the differences between them. First of all, you'll need to know what you're planning to spray, as the greater number of stages a turbine has, the more capable it will be with atomizing "thicker" (higher viscosity) finishes. But you probably already knew that. You also probably know that many amateur and professional finishers very successfullty use 3-stage turbine HVLP systems to spray waterborne pre-catalyzed lacquer, polyurethane, shellac and sander/sealer products right out of the can without any thinning. But if you're wanting to spray even "thicker" products such as latex paint, then you'll be happier with a 4-stage turbine. That's not to say you can't successfully spray latex paint with a 3-stage turbine system, as you can... but you'll likely have to adjust the viscosity of the product by thinning it down. The same goes for certain waterborne polyurethanes. In some cases thinning a finish to spray it is not an acceptable option.

The other way to go is to consider purchasing a Mini-Mite 4 instead of a Q3. Those two systems are pretty close to the same price point, yet with the Mini-Mite 4 you get an extra stage. The only disadvantage if you decide to go that way is the increased noise level. But hey, you likely have a tablesaw, and you are probably okay with operating it wearing hearing protection, so you'd probably do the same thing with your 4-stage unit, right? Just a thought...

Good luck with your decision. Fuji's 3 and 4 stage turbine systems are all terrific units.

Chris Merriam
01-18-2016, 8:50 PM
I went with what Marty recommended at the end. Didn't want to regret not having full power so I went with the four stage mini mite rather than the Q series. It's not that loud, exactly like a vacuum, but without the spinning belt sounds and various chassis noises. It comes with a 25 foot hose, so just put it a good distance away and save some money. By the way, consider the six foot whip hose to be a mandatory accessory. That 25 ft hose is quite literally a medium to heavy duty rubber water hose that is not very pliable and fairly heavy