PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Crossover Cable in VMware 8.1 + Windows 10 (Epilog mini 24, iMac i5)

chris szlachetka
01-15-2016, 1:01 PM
Seems that VMware uses the ethernet port in Win 10 as a "bridge" to allow Win 10 internet service. The only network cable attached to this iMac is the crossover cable that's connected only to my Epilog laser. I've modified the settings to read my laser IP & subnet, ping the laser and got a response. Next tried to use the internet in Win 10, didn't work. So looks like I need to setup another ethernet port or switch the "WiFi" to use another port to free the ethernet port for the crossover cable...

I'm looking for anyone that has info. on setting up VMware Fusion 8.1 + Windows 10 using a crossover cable. I have everything else setup, just not sure how or which way to setup a second ethernet or which option to run the WiFi thru in the network adapter setting. Anyone run into this issue ? Any info. you'd like to add, please feel free. I'm sure others with the same problem will find this super useful if we can get the Laser & computer setup properly.

Epilog Mini 24
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 10.11.2
VMware 8.1
Windows 10 Home edition

Mark Taylor2
01-16-2016, 6:26 PM
I guess I'm not understanding... Win10 won't work as a standalone? Or is the VMware on a server somewhere..?

John Noell
01-16-2016, 6:32 PM
It's an iMac, running Win10 as a virtual machine using VMware Fusion.

chris szlachetka
01-17-2016, 3:28 AM
Thanks for the reply guys ! Correct John !

Mark in short this is my daily workflow when needing to use the laser (MacBook Pro laptop). The iMac I'm trying out the new VMware Fusion 8.1 virtual machine. Basically my goal is to combine both Mac & Windows workflows into one computer. This iMac has the speed and power to do both, whereas my laptops aren't tip top. Especially when design in real time CAD & CAM programs.

So about a year ago we decided to setup bootcamp (Apples free build in virtual machine software) on our mac having to hold down the option/alt key every time we want to run the laser (Windows virtual system). It's kind of a pain when needing to jump from both operating systems. Long story short I had to install a bunch of drivers and setup a crossover cable connection with the Epilog mini. On the MBP laptop we're running Win 8.1 and had zero issues setting up the networking part. Now that being said VMware uses a different path to connect things allowing the user to randomly access both operating systems in real time without the need to restart the computer and reboot in "startup disk mode".

So basically I need to "bridge" one of these ports to run the crossover cable only, which in this case I think the ethernet port should do. I've spoken with a few of the Epilog techs and was given instructions on how to setup the computer & machine... didn't work.

Guys sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I've been at it for days with not much luck. I got the ping to work, but every time I click with the setup Epilog driver I get a Win 10 error message.

Chris Corwin
01-17-2016, 10:22 AM
I don't have your exact setup but I do use a epilog legend 32 on win7 32bit running in a parallels virtual machine on my old 17" MacBook Pro.

Chris Edens
01-17-2016, 11:34 AM
I run one of my lasers on a mac. I use Parallels and do not have any problems. I have a Trotec using Job Control.

chris szlachetka
01-17-2016, 2:21 PM
Parallels didn't work for us, still not sure why. Are you guys running the jobs thru USB or ethernet ?

Chris Corwin
01-17-2016, 3:00 PM
Parallels didn't work for us, still not sure why. Are you guys running the jobs thru USB or ethernet ?

I always use Ethernet and the print driver is configured for a static address.

Chris Edens
01-17-2016, 3:10 PM

USB Cable is what we use.

Chris Corwin
01-17-2016, 4:42 PM
Why not just bite the bullet and connect the laser to your Ethernet network with a self asigned IP address. That way any machine in the same subnet will be able to reach it. Wireless laptops will as well as long as the wireless is on the same subnet.

chris szlachetka
01-17-2016, 7:11 PM
Our current workhorse is ran from MBP laptop using ethernet, running Windows 8.1 under bootcamp. I'm all about the ethernet crossover cable, I just can't get the new 21.5" iMac & MVware Fusion 8.1 to talk. I can ping the laser, but for some reason can't get the laser to take the print. I originally had issues with Parallels and the laser, but got some wiz kid on the phone at Epilog that had me doing all kinds of coding thru CMD window and settled for bootcamp. I wish I could remember his name, I know this guy would figure it out in a few tries. All I remember is the guy liked to DJ on the weekends and something about the burning man fest out in the middle of the desert. lol

chris szlachetka
01-18-2016, 2:42 PM
Ok found the Wiz Kid at Epilog today, had us setup in 4mins flat. So basically when running VMware everything needs to be setup on the OS X side, not PC Windows side. We modified the ethernet network setting and open up the OS X Terminal. Executed an " ifconfig " command and checked the EN0: to make sure it reads the Ethernet IP we just entered. Next we ping the laser from OS X terminal and boom done (the ping will go until you stop it, type " ctrl c " to stop!

Well I hope this helps anyone with the same issues we had, if not PM me and I'll help you out.

Chris

Mark Taylor2
01-19-2016, 7:25 PM
That's good news, Chris. I'm fully Windows at this point but I'm looking for a different OS as Win10 is NOT in my future due to a number of issues. I'll note this in case I end up with Linux or an Apple and a VM running Windows7.