PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Video

Eric Schatz
01-15-2016, 12:54 PM
I have been doing all of my sharpening on a grinder with wheels that I have no idea what grit they are or when they were last dressed. I free hand everything and am comfortable doing that. However, I never get clean cuts and I'm pretty sure this is why. This video made so much sense to me and really outlined what I need to get. I'm pretty sure I only need a Norton 120 and I'll be good to go. I'm excited to get this into the shop and reground my gouges and get to work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_KDSIDAtGc

Leo Van Der Loo
01-15-2016, 3:24 PM
I have been doing all of my sharpening on a grinder with wheels that I have no idea what grit they are or when they were last dressed. I free hand everything and am comfortable doing that. However, I never get clean cuts and I'm pretty sure this is why. This video made so much sense to me and really outlined what I need to get. I'm pretty sure I only need a Norton 120 and I'll be good to go. I'm excited to get this into the shop and reground my gouges and get to work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_KDSIDAtGc

Good luck finding a K grade 120 grit 3X Norton grinding wheel, I don’t even think Norton makes them.

Maybe you can find a 80 grit K grade 3X wheel

Reed Gray
01-15-2016, 5:21 PM
There are all sorts of different ways to do it. I have a couple of sharpening video clips, and lots of bowl turning clips up on You Tube if you type in robo hippy. Cindy's video is several years old, but don't really remember how many. The CBN wheels are probably the best ones available. Some are happy to grind and sharpen with 60 grit wheels, some only like the wet wheels like Tromek. Norton does make some blue wheels of some sort of ceramic, and they are good quality. Sharpening is the first step in getting clean cuts.

robo hippy

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-15-2016, 6:33 PM
Jamestown Distributers carries 6" x 1" x 80 grit in K grade. That should be fine if your grinder is 6". They have "I" grade in all sizes and grits. When I used the blue wheels prior to switching to CBN I preferred "I" grade for fine grit like 120. It is less likely to burn. You will need to dress more often. If you don't mind spending the money, buy a CBN. No dressing, no sparks and cool cutting.
faust