PDA

View Full Version : RIP Alan Rickman

Mark Blatter
01-15-2016, 10:13 AM
I was sadden to hear of the passing of yet another wonderful actor, Alan Rickman. He is, of course, best known for his incredible portrayal of Severus Snape, but I was more impressed with how he played Elliot Marston (Quigley Down Under) and Hans Gruber (Die Hard). You left the theater hating the guy. I found it tough to separate the actor from the character, which means the actor did a wonderful job with the role. Everything I have heard about Rickman is the opposite of most of his characters. He was a warm and wonderful person, the opposite of his typical roles.

I will be revisiting Quigley, Die Hard and some others just to say goodbye.

RIP Mr. Rickman.

Mel Fulks
01-15-2016, 10:41 AM
He was terrific in "Sense and Sensibility" too. Its one of those Jane Austen pre sleeping pill snoozers, turned into entertainment, his awkwardness and formality was just right in that.

Chris Padilla
01-15-2016, 12:35 PM
He is a great and versatile actor and will be missed. My wife picked up a film of his called "Snow Cake" that I thought he did an excellent job in. Sigourney Weaver also stars and also does a wonderful job.

Patrick McCarthy
01-15-2016, 1:20 PM
I was sadden to hear of the passing of yet another wonderful actor, Alan Rickman. Everything I have heard about Rickman is the opposite of most of his characters. He was a warm and wonderful person, the opposite of his typical roles.

RIP Mr. Rickman.

Mark, my Shakespearian actress daughter can attest to this. When she was at Oxford two actors came to talk to the students. Ben Kingsley insisted upon being addressed as "Sir Kingsley", was aloof, cold, etc., and not at all like the humble character he played in Gandhi. In stark contrast, Mr. Rickman was warm, personable, genuine, humorous . . . .and loved by all the students.

Excellent actor. Sad loss.

On another note, very astute observation by you: " I found it tough to separate the actor from the character, which means the actor did a wonderful job with the role."
With same daughter, while in a college production, the wife of the professor/director commented to him at end of a play "Gosh, she is such a bit**, you must have hated working with her." His reply: What are you talking about? She is a sweetheart. It is called "acting."