PDA

View Full Version : Tool Holder - Small Squares

glenn bradley
01-14-2016, 5:24 PM
I needed to rearrange the plane till a bit so these small squares had to move to another area. They are on a swinging door so I used some magnets and diagonal slots to keeps thing in their place. It will get some finish and then the magnets will get glued in but, it will turn out something like so:

329329 . 329328

Hilton Ralphs
01-15-2016, 4:46 AM
Great idea Glenn. The only addition I would make to that is to nail one small brass escutcheon pins into the top just in front of each square to stop them accidentally falling out. You would then need to life the square up by whatever length of pin is showing. I would place these pins on the left side of the square giving you more wood to install them in.

Mike Null
01-15-2016, 7:17 AM
Good idea. I'll make on this weekend.

Pat Barry
01-15-2016, 9:14 AM
I like it - reminds me of something I should do this weekend but I'll be watching the Vikings... wait...this just in - I've now been told that the Vikings lost last weekend :( looks like I do have some time on my hands.

glenn bradley
01-15-2016, 9:49 AM
Great idea Glenn. The only addition I would make to that is to nail one small brass escutcheon pins into the top just in front of each square to stop them accidentally falling out. You would then need to life the square up by whatever length of pin is showing. I would place these pins on the left side of the square giving you more wood to install them in.

Thanks Hilton. The magnets keep them from falling out. I tried a flat 1/4" disc in a cup but, the grip was too much. I happened to have some 1/4" rods from some sample pack I bought years ago. The little 1/4" round by 1/4" long buggers have a good grip but, don't pull the door open as I remove the square ;-).

Andrew Pitonyak
01-15-2016, 2:12 PM
I really like this.... I have been pondering how to best arrange these so that I can access them yet they are using less space. Very nice.

Bruce Page
01-15-2016, 3:08 PM
I like it, simple and effective.

What are the brass dogs in your bench? Some kind of pop up?

glenn bradley
01-15-2016, 8:47 PM
I like it, simple and effective.

What are the brass dogs in your bench? Some kind of pop up?

Those are Lee Valley's Prairie Dogs which do pop up. I had pondered making my own with a push-to-open door latch but, never did find one that was the form factor I was after. Christmas ended my search and although they seem gimmicky, they are actually quite useful on my twin screw.