PDA

View Full Version : Got some "extras" with my Grizzly DC shipment

John Ziebron
01-14-2016, 4:38 PM
Over the years I've purchased several Grizzly machines, but this is the first time that something extra came with my G0441 DC. In some of the larger plastic bags like for the muffler were a bunch of small, roundish things that looked a little like peppercorns. They are very hard and none were broken. I did cut one open and it appears that they are some kind of nut, albeit very small. The outside shell is thin and the inner part is white inside. They might be nuts for miniature Taiwanese squirrels, if there is such a thing.:D The plastic bags were closed with tape, but not really sealed. There was no evidence of any kind of animal or rodent leavings so I would assume they were put in the bags by humans. So for now, just another one of life's little mysteries.:confused: Anyone else have an experience like this?

Jerome Stanek
01-14-2016, 4:49 PM
Those are metric nuts to go on SAE bolts

Myk Rian
01-14-2016, 7:55 PM
Grizzly is a Squirrel, not a bear. You got his stash.

Keith Weber
01-14-2016, 8:33 PM
Grizzly uses those things in the final setup of their machinery. When the cast iron tables are installed, they place the nuts on the table. If they roll off, the leveling screws are adjusted, and the nuts are placed back on the table. When they stay put, the machine is packed up and shipped to the customer.

Since you bought a dust collector (which doesn't have a cast table), the tech didn't have a use for the nuts, so he just packed up the machine and threw the unused nuts into the crate.

Jim Koepke
01-15-2016, 12:16 AM
Maybe they are moisture detectors. If they sprout the package got wet.

I would be careful about the disposal of these. There are many species that can become invasive when the are away from their natural predators. Just ask any body from the south about kudzu.

jtk

Conrad Fiore
01-15-2016, 7:57 AM
Burn them to ash. Lest you accidently release some non-native invasive species of flora or fauna.

John Ziebron
01-15-2016, 8:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. Nice to see there are some members with a sense of humor.:) I'm doubting these are seeds because of the really hard shell. But I agree about not taking a chance with another invasive species in this country and they will perish by fire.

Chuck Saunders
01-15-2016, 8:45 AM
Let Grizzly know. Not that they need to fix you, but this is not good QC and they will want to be aware for the reasons Conrad and Jim mention.
Chuck

Jerome Stanek
01-15-2016, 10:31 AM
I would take them to my agricultural agent and let them know that these are coming in from China.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2016, 10:33 AM
I would take them to my agricultural agent and let them know that these are coming in from China.

Exactly, don't destroy them until someone knowledgeable has looked at them to identify any risk..........Regards, Rod.

Bradley Gray
01-15-2016, 1:32 PM
+ 1 on reporting this! In the early settlement days along the Ohio/ Mississippi rivers dishes imported from China were packed in Royal Paulownia Tree seeds - now a huge invasive problem.

Wade Lippman
01-15-2016, 2:08 PM
The thing in the lower right looks like a burnishing bead. Maybe the rest are also, but ones I am unfamiliar with.

John Ziebron
01-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. But I already took Conrad's advice and torched them, so all I have left is a couple of pictures. But I will still report it to Grizzly and do some checking locally to see if I can report it to someone like the DNR.

Wade, these are all the same things. The one in the lower right corner is half of one I split open. That revealed that the outside casing was thin and very hard. The inside part looked like a little nut to me. It had a dark, very thin exterior and a white interior as you can see.