PDA

View Full Version : On line guides to segmented bowls?

Wade Lippman
01-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Looks like an interesting challenge. And good on line guides to them?

Michael Mason
01-14-2016, 3:11 PM
If you are asking about " How-to's", do yourself a favor and purchase a book called The Art of Segmented Woodturning by Malcolm Tibbets. It should tell you a lot of what you need to know before attempting one. He has video's available also. You can find him on a google search.

Justin Stephen
01-14-2016, 3:19 PM
If you are asking about " How-to's", do yourself a favor and purchase a book called The Art of Segmented Woodturning by Malcolm Tibbets. It should tell you a lot of what you need to know before attempting one. He has video's available also. You can find him on a google search.

Yup, his first video in particular provides a nice overview of the topic.

Brian D Wood
01-14-2016, 7:07 PM
Here is a link to some online articles. http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.php?catid=98

Any book by Tibbets would be great, and Ron Hampton's book is very good for beginners. Gives great advice on building a good sled for your tablesaw which I think is essential. Have fun!

Tom Giacomo
01-14-2016, 8:52 PM
Try http// www.segmentedwoodturners.org

allan kuntz
01-14-2016, 9:17 PM
I agree on Malcolm Tibbets book. I also got his DVD on feature rings and it is great. As far as a sled is concerned do a search on SEG EASY SLED. i built one and is a great unit and very easy to build. I also bought the Seg Easy plates. After watching Malcolms DVD about a thousand times this is my first attempt at segmenting
Al

Paul Williams
01-14-2016, 9:29 PM
Allan, that is one fine first attempt.

Jim Daughtridge
01-15-2016, 9:50 AM
The only thing that I see wrong with this is, it is going to be very difficult to improve on the next one. Great job!

Grant Wilkinson
01-15-2016, 11:25 AM
All the above suggestions are good. I would add dennyedwards.com. His videos are excellent.

Greg Just
01-15-2016, 5:26 PM
Another vote for Malcolm's book and DVD's. Well worth the money. I was fortunate enough to be able to take a class with Malcolm a few years ago and it was a great experience.

Chris Groves
01-16-2016, 9:54 AM
beautiful urn... outstanding first one... how tall is it.... I have been doing segmented bowls for 6-7 years but have yet to try a hollow form

Chris

allan kuntz
01-16-2016, 3:12 PM
beautiful urn... outstanding first one... how tall is it.... I have been doing segmented bowls for 6-7 years but have yet to try a hollow form

ChrisThanks. About 28-30" tall and 16" OD
Al