PDA

View Full Version : How to make this drawer front

David Huston
01-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Saw this picture on another site and would really like to know how to make it. I have looked for cope and stile bits like this but cant find any. Would this be considered a beaded front? Any help is greatly appreciated.

glenn bradley
01-14-2016, 11:53 AM
Whiteside 6001 or 6003? Just looks like a 'round' or 'beaded' cope and stick set would do it . . . or am I missing something? I sometimes do ;-)

George Bokros
01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
^ times two

Peter Quinn
01-14-2016, 12:47 PM
The drawer front is a 1/4 round, often called a thumbnail profile, probably the most ubiquitous cabinet door profile going, every tooling maker sells this profile. I have one from Amana for the router table, and shaper cutters as well. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody that didn't make that profile.

John TenEyck
01-14-2016, 1:05 PM
You don't even need a set of cope and stick cutters to make that drawer front. You could make a flat, stub tenon drawer front and then glue quarter round into the inside perimeter. I've done it several times and no one but your wallet will know the difference.

John

lowell holmes
01-15-2016, 7:37 AM
You don't even need a set of cope and stick cutters to make that drawer front. You could make a flat, stub tenon drawer front and then glue quarter round into the inside perimeter. I've done it several times and no one but your wallet will know the difference.

John

But, it's more fun to make with new cutters on a shaper or router table.:)

Pat Barry
01-15-2016, 8:50 AM
Are you trying to make a solid drawer front? If so, the above ideas will not work. The drawer shown could be made as a frame and panel piece with the typical rails and stiles and using the router ideas above to create the profile however. You could even do the applied quarter round or something similar to dress it up but then you would need to carefully fit and miter the molding to fit nicely into the recess. What are you comfortable with construction wise? Have you done frame and panel before?

Jim Becker
01-15-2016, 9:35 AM
The drawer front in the photo is likely CNC machined from one solid piece. To recreate this in the shop, most folk would use cope/stick...pretty much required if the workpiece isn't going to be painted. If you are going to paint, you have the option of using lamination, particularly with a manufactured material and then rounding over the edge with a router.

Bob Grier
01-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Is this what you are looking for?

New Woodline 1336-2 rail and stile cutter for about $100 http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/2pc-rail-and-stile-cutter-roundover-wl-1336-2.html

Or

Used but advertised "like new" Woodline 1336-2 for $35 http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tls/5403833973.html