PDA

View Full Version : Lots of RD Cam / laserworks woes today. Please Help!

Greg Facer
01-14-2016, 12:08 AM
So, windows update reared its ugly head last night and my laptop I use for the laser
1)would not start
2)Got it to start, would not run RDCAM version 5
3)went back to a restore point, got RDCAM working and ran my job
4)Must have tried again on the problem updates, as computer had rebooted later and RDCAM again not working.
5)Went back to same restore point, this time RDCAM still doesn't work.
6)Tried downloading Version 8, cannot connect to laser
7)tried downloading Version 5.027, can connect, but is acting weird*
8) will try, but typing this right now, going back to an earlier restore point
9)I'll try a different laptop tomorrow too.

*Acting weird means not opening older version 5 native files, and sometimes loading a bunch of "dot" layers for something I can't see nor delete, nor do they go away with reboots, reinstalls, etc. And, I seem to also end up with only shades of grey where the colors should be.

It's technically usable for basic things so I can sort of limp along if I reinstall any time it gets too mucked up, but any ideas?

Version 8 is overall behaving better, except I can't actually run the machine with it. A saved file did work, but it was going too fast and i'd rather limp with v5 than figure out the saved file settings.

Greg Facer
01-14-2016, 12:32 AM
Found and installed Version 6, that worked with the worst file for the weird layers in V5 and can talk to the machine unlike V8.

I know know now not to rely on saving native files (usually to dial in settings and save them), as it still can't read the V5 native files.

Still, any suggestions for V8 might be good, although I have no idea what might be in V8 that I'd care about.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
01-14-2016, 5:37 AM
Greg,

This won't help your problem, but it will make me feel better to say it, lol. In my office I have 4 Macs and one Windows 7 pc on a network. I noticed the PC decided to reboot in the middle of the night. The PC runs the laser. After the reboot none of us could connect to the PC over the network. Took me 90 minutes to get things working again. I've noticed while using the PC about every 10 minutes a window pops up with various warnings, messages, upgrade offers, etc. it seems to me that Microsoft has included a corporate virus in their operating system. I am growing to hate Windows more each day. I'm surprised the computing public doesn't revolt. What if I was running an Iron Lung with my PC and it decides to reboot? Haha, the more I write, the madder I'm getting.

Sorry,

Bob

Bill Carruthers
01-14-2016, 6:27 AM
Found and installed Version 6, that worked with the worst file for the weird layers in V5 and can talk to the machine unlike V8.

I know know now not to rely on saving native files (usually to dial in settings and save them), as it still can't read the V5 native files.

Still, any suggestions for V8 might be good, although I have no idea what might be in V8 that I'd care about.
Greg- The various (5,6,8) versions of RDCam do not read each others RLD files - if you wish to run them in another version then export the file as an "ai." file from its native version and it can then be imported and read by all.
I find Version 8 to be much more stable than 5 or 6 and it has even "grown" to have actual scroll bars for navigation as well as a vastly improved text entering system. Just FYI. I'm running Win7 64 bit and have had little or no trouble with V8 on it.
Cheers
Bill

Greg Facer
01-14-2016, 9:15 AM
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback on 8, will try with a newer laptop today perhaps.

And Bob, I am totally onboard the class action suit when someone starts it regarding the windows iron lung issue, although maybe it's a dell issue, who knows (that's also what you get with apple, knowing any screw up is always 100% their fault!)

Will report back on how new computer install works out.

Kev Williams
01-14-2016, 11:03 AM
There's ways to keep Bill out of your computer, but MS doesn't make it obvious... it's a matter of searching online for the procedure(s) on how to turn all that crap off. The computer I'm on right now is a win8.1 which is completely un-affected by microsoft. Wasn't always that way- the day I came to work and this computer said "Win 8.1 installing..." was the last straw. I didn't WANT 8.1, I'd told the computer no I don't know how many times, and MS took it upon themselves to take over my computer and install 8.1. I let the install finish, but afterwards I found the instructions I needed to shut off ALL that nonsense, and it worked. Since then, I can manually check for updates and install what I want, but I never get any MS popup messages of any kind, not even the 'I need to install 10' nag. Nothing.

There's also the bloatware that came with your computer that will invade your computer, Java updates, Adobe updates. There's ways to make all that crap "manually" operated. The only thing to leave in auto-mode is your antivirus program(s).

The best computers I have are all of my XP's. Microsoft quitting support of XP was the best thing to ever happen...