PDA

View Full Version : Chinese laser won't fire

Joe Ando
01-13-2016, 11:43 PM
Hey All,
I picked up a 6090 machine from China with a 100w CO2 tube. It took me a few months to get up and running, but it has been a dream for about two months. Last week I went to go make some cuts and the laser would not fire. The rest of the machine seems to be fine, its's just the tube seems dead. Jumping to conclusions, I ordered another laser power supply and swapped out the old one. That didn't fix it.

Thus far I have determined the power supply gets power. The water safety circuit is functioning and the control signal is going to the supply. When I look at the tube there are no sparks, no off color beam, no beam at all and no cracks. I have also tried testing the output of the laser using a voltmeter and it registers 0.0.

The new power supply has three lights on the back, can you please let me know what they mean? If you have any other insight it would be much appreciated as I am kinda heart broken.

Joe

Bert Kemp
01-14-2016, 1:09 AM
check safeties on cover. also I think theres usually a button on the PS that will bypass all safeties to see if the tube will fire.

Bill George
01-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Please don't try to check the high voltage to the tube, it is 20,000 volts! Check for loose connections and ask your dealer for help.

John Noell
01-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Do you have an ammeter in the circuit (between negative end of tube and power supply)? If so, what does it read when you fire (e.g., hit the pulse button)? Most tubes do not simply stop working. The simply lose power (sometimes pretty rapidly but far from instant). Loose connections are extremely common!

Joe Ando
01-19-2016, 8:13 PM
Thank you all for the responses. I have installed and tested a new power supply. All signs are pointing to a dead tube. More testing tonight, and if I can't get it running I will be ordering a new tube :(

Dave Sheldrake
01-20-2016, 2:43 AM
Very rare for a tube to just go ping and die, usually they degrade with time.

Have you tried firing the tube from the PSU test button?

Jeff Body
01-20-2016, 1:55 PM
Very rare for a tube to just go ping and die, usually they degrade with time.

Have you tried firing the tube from the PSU test button?

Well............ Mine did

I hear a zap and "nothing" took out the power supply and laser tube in 1 shot.

Dave Sheldrake
01-20-2016, 3:51 PM
Well............ Mine did

I hear a zap and "nothing" took out the power supply and laser tube in 1 shot.

Said *Rare* Jeff...not impossible :)

Jeff Body
01-21-2016, 1:31 PM
Said *Rare* Jeff...not impossible :)

Yep.... just giving an example of my *Rare* experience