PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jig Storage

Dan Schmidt
01-13-2016, 10:56 PM
The Porter Cable 77240 24 in. Omnijig is a HUGE and HEAVY beast. When mine is not in use, it's on a furniture dolly and rolled into a small closet. I'm looking for a better storage solution. I don't use it enough to justify permanent mounting on a cart taking up shop space. Any one tackle this already? Any ideas?

Dan

Ben Rivel
01-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Maybe mount it to a flip style cart with something else that you do use more often?

Cary Falk
01-14-2016, 8:36 AM
I had the PC4212 and now a Leigh D4R and I made a wooden box with handles on the ends to keep all the pieces together and keep it from getting knocked around. I can't find a picture at the moment. There are similar to the one that was posted in the magazines a long time ago where you remove the jig from the box and then mount it on top of the box.

Ellery Becnel
01-14-2016, 1:06 PM
I too have been making boxes for my dovetail fixtures, hand planes, router combo kits, etc. I bought a label machine. I have used 1/2"
birch plywood, cedar fence boards, walnut to make them. I have used different joinery techniques. Honing my skills, and dust free, safe
storage for a small shop. I am not done yet, I keep buying more stuff. I have a sickness, what can I say. It is fun making the boxes.
Just sharing some options.

Ellery Becnel

Scott Cenicola
01-14-2016, 2:14 PM
I too have been making boxes for my dovetail fixtures, hand planes, router combo kits, etc. I bought a label machine. I have used 1/2"
birch plywood, cedar fence boards, walnut to make them. I have used different joinery techniques. Honing my skills, and dust free, safe
storage for a small shop. I am not done yet, I keep buying more stuff. I have a sickness, what can I say. It is fun making the boxes.
Just sharing some options.

Ellery Becnel

Would love to see some pics. I am looking for smaill projects that help me improve my skills, and it sounds like you have a great idea

Mike Goetzke
01-14-2016, 2:15 PM
I had the 16" version for a while (it was a monster - can't imagine the 24") and I kept the bottom Styrofoam molded piece and built a drawer under my workbench to store it. After working on our big kitchen remodel it sat taking up space for a while so I sold it and bought the new Leigh RTJ400 which can be hung on the wall with a hook.

Mike

James Biddle
01-14-2016, 2:39 PM
I have it screwed to a solid board with 6" ears on both ends with a 1-1/4" hole on one end. I hang it on a 1" peg securely anchored to the wall when not in use...I clamp the ears to the workbench when I'm using it.

Doug Hepler
01-14-2016, 3:55 PM
I built a chest for my PC jig based on an article in Woodsmith mag. I added a drawer to hold accessories, extra templates, etc. I don't find it useful to mount the jig on top of the chest as they propose. Here is a link to the information in the article. http://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/portable-dovetail-jig-workcenter/ This link is to an offer to sell you a copy of the plans and the article. I have a pdf copy of the article that I could send you if you want. Just send me a PM with your email.

Ellery Becnel
01-14-2016, 5:00 PM
Scott, I will take some pictures and post them.
Thanks

Ole Anderson
01-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Mine hangs on the wall, but it is just a Leigh D1600.

Jim Dwight
01-15-2016, 7:57 PM
My dovetail jig is at the other end of the size and price spectrum, a 12 inch Harbor Freight. It sits on a base to raise it and to create a space for a drawer for the setup jigs. The whole thing goes on a couple shelf brackets high on the wall above my router table. It's a little hard to get up and down but I think it's a good spot for it.