PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Norm...

Mark Hulette
06-10-2003, 1:24 PM
is building an A/C grandfather's clock! Very interesting.

Norm's Webcam (http://www.newyankee.com/yankeecam.shtml)

Tom Sweeney
06-10-2003, 1:51 PM
It looks like the Delta 2 speed planer that I bought recently is tucked into the right corner of the screen. I have not caught a new episode of NYW since HGTV took him off for that Stewart woman :mad: so I don't know what he has anymore.

That would be two of my tools that Norm has the planer & a Wm. Tyzack & sons back saw :D Now if I could just actually complete projects like Norm does I'd be in WW'ers heaven.

Good looking clock BTW - thanks for the heads up

Paul Geer
06-10-2003, 2:00 PM
Hmmm ... Normy's web cam was "on" yesterday the 9th... looked like the cabinet he was working on last time.Yep, looks like a grandfather (grandmother maybe) clock.

I wonder if any other TV woodworker has a web cam in their shop?

Or

If anyone els would put a web cam in their own woodshop for their web site?

I don't know if I would.

Mmmm...

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 2:46 PM
Originally posted by Tom Sweeney
I have not caught a new episode of NYW since HGTV took him off for that Stewart woman :mad: so I don't know what he has anymore.

HGTV never has episodes newer than three years (and generally much, much older)...you need to watch PBS for the current season(s); in your case, WHYY at 10a and 5p on Saturdays. They are currently in the "second" rotation of the 2003 season shows which debuted in January.

Mark Hulette
06-10-2003, 2:47 PM
Paul- it's funny that you referred to His Normness as "Normy". My daughter does the same thing and it cracks me up! :^)

I wondered what the operating costs were for a webcam like that. Are they "always on"? I remember seeing somewhere on the 'net that it was very expensive but didn't see any actual $ figures.

If I had a webcam in my shop it would be fatal- viewers would die of laughter or boredom!

I think you're right- that may be a g-mother clock.

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 2:51 PM
Originally posted by Mark Hulette
I wondered what the operating costs were for a webcam like that. Are they "always on"? I remember seeing somewhere on the 'net that it was very expensive but didn't see any actual $ figures.

Since this is only one frame per minute, it's dirt cheap to broadcast. It's put up as just a still image on a dynamic web site. When I have the time to have it run, I use a little routine that someone posted a few weeks ago to automatically refresh once a minute...talk about slow motion! :D

BTW, SWMBO calls him "Normy", too.

Mark Hulette
06-10-2003, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by Jim Becker
When I have the time to have it run, I use a little routine that someone posted a few weeks ago to automatically refresh once a minute...talk about slow motion! :D

Jim- I tried the javascript someone posted also. Got the page to open but the auto refresh wouldn't work.

Peter Kuhlman
06-10-2003, 3:06 PM
Our PBS no longer carries Norm so all we get is the old shows :( . The replacement show "Handyma'am" is a poor substitute!
Pete

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 3:16 PM
Jim- I tried the javascript someone posted also. Got the page to open but the auto refresh wouldn't work.

You can download the code from my site at this URL:

http://sawsndust.com/downloads/NYW-webcam.zip

UnZip the file and save it on your machine. It's an htm file that when you click on it, it will display the webcam and refresh it once a minute from the time you start it up.

Mark Hulette
06-10-2003, 3:23 PM
Thanks, Jim

Clicked the link but didn't "get" anywhere.

Paul Geer
06-10-2003, 3:47 PM
Mark,

Really think Norm would be a great guy to know, not just for the woodworking side but he looks and sounds like a great guy.

I bet if you lived next door to Norm, he would help you resolve a woodworking problem any time... If he's home that is. ;)

Mark Hulette
06-10-2003, 4:13 PM
Paul- I agree completely. He just has a genuineness about him that says he's a regular guy that has had a wonderful bit of success yet hasn't allowed it to go to his head.

He's a large portion of the inspiration that led me to this hobby/addiction :D The webcam also proves something else to me in that it reveals that he does the work (somewhat) alone. It helps me to identify with him all that much more.

Tom Sweeney
06-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Jim Becker
HGTV never has episodes newer than three years (and generally much, much older)...you need to watch PBS for the current season(s); in your case, WHYY at 10a and 5p on Saturdays. They are currently in the "second" rotation of the 2003 season shows which debuted in January.

HGTV used to run the new episodes - I'm pretty sure they were new anyway - up till about 1 1/2 years ago - I have dish network.

Thanks for the heads up on WHYY - I thought he was only on very early on Saturday Morning. I special ordered my alarm clock so there is no setting before 8:00 a.m. :D - so I never bothered checking.

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by Tom Sweeney
HGTV used to run the new episodes - I'm pretty sure they were new anyway - up till about 1 1/2 years ago - I have dish network.

I believe you are refering to the PBSU channel...that channel did have current season NYW shows for Dish users, but the series was taken off. HGTV's contract does not give them access to the new stuff.

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 1:59 PM
Clicked the link but didn't "get" anywhere.

Ummm...sorry. I had the filename mispelled on the site. I Typed "NYC" instead of NYW" in the file name when I uploaded the ZIP file. (I had just been doing an expense report for work and typed NYC a few too many times such that the fingers went one way even though the brain was thinking something else!)

http://sawsndust.com/downloads/NYW-webcam.zip now works correctly...

Mark Hulette
06-11-2003, 2:41 PM
Thanks again, Jim

That's really slick!

Here's a question related to all this DC talk going on lately: With the NYW webcam we get to see some things not normally seen on the regular show (ie DC hoses). Question: are those showing (TS & Jointer) 6" dia hoses or 4"? Just trying to get some idea of what I'll have to move around when I get my DC set up.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 2:47 PM
Question: are those showing (TS & Jointer) 6" dia hoses or 4"?

Judging by appearances (hard to "measure") the hose to the TS is a 6". The drops on the right side over the jointer, etc., I have a funny feeling are 4" drops. Air Handling Systems could tell you for sure...they installed the duct system in 1991. Which brings up a good point. Today, we tend to favor larger drops and higher CFM for a given machine for optimum performance. Over ten years ago, there might have been different thoughts on that.

Mark Hulette
06-11-2003, 4:00 PM
Jim,
That's kinda what I thought, too. Man, that 6" is a biggie!

Here's something I thought was interesting:

Guess I thought Norm just went off of the plans "in his head"! Nice to know he can't remember ALL the dimensions (probably can- just double-checking the plan to see if it's right! :cool: )

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 4:16 PM
Guess I thought Norm just went off of the plans "in his head"! Nice to know he can't remember ALL the dimensions

While I'm sure there is some "faddling" with the prototype...which is the whole reason for having one! Many of the NYW projects do have some critical dimensions and anyone building them, including Norm, will benefit from checking the plans...more than once. It's been amazing to me about how many "little error" I catch (mostly in time...) when working with the plans I carefully prepared for my kitchen cabinets. It's resulted in a bunch of minor revisions that are already applied to the drawings for the next sets of carcases.

Mark Hulette
06-11-2003, 4:31 PM
Your kitchen remodel is interesting and ambitious! Make sure to keep us posted on the progress with lots of pics.

Something else I just noticed- Norm has the clock running and looks like it's keeping pretty good time, too!

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 4:35 PM
Something else I just noticed- Norm has the clock running and looks like it's keeping pretty good time, too!

For what that clock mechanism probably costs...it better keep good time!!!:D

Lynn Sonier
06-12-2003, 7:40 PM
Boy, it must be really nice to walk over to a piece of machinery and use it without having to move stuff out the way to get to it. My shop is smaller than a phone booth (I know, there are no more of those) and I lust after a shop like Norm's. Didja notice he has THREE clocks under way in the background???

Jim Becker
06-12-2003, 9:11 PM
Originally posted by Lynn Sonier
Didja notice he has THREE clocks under way in the background???

I'm looking at the "last shot" right now and only see the prototype (to the right) and the one he has been working on for the taping (to the left). There is a Coke clock on the wall next to the back-bench just inside the big door (farther left) that might appear like it's another project, but it's been there for years.

Paul Geer
06-13-2003, 8:38 AM
If you look around the shop you can see that most of the machinery are on mobile bases, except the TS and the wide belt sander. For example, when Normy uses his BIG spindle sander, first they unhook That BIG jointer from the DC, move the jointer aside, then move the spindle out from the behind that BIG wide belt sander then hook it up the DC. Some times he moves the NEW band saw around which is now on a mobile base.

And he used to move his small lathe around from the East side of the shop to the West but with that NEW BIGGER lathe they tend to leave it sit where it is.

I've notice that somtimes he even moves the drill press around too a little.

I think Normy's shop is 36' by 26', not a bad size eh? but to move things around in the shop is pretty much normal even in the bigger shops. I know in my own shop I have just about everthing on movable bases, even the table saw, right now my space is 26' by 24', and to have things movable is really handy if not necessary.

Jim Becker
06-13-2003, 8:45 AM
Originally posted by Paul Geer
If you look around the shop you can see that most of the machinery are on mobile bases...

You make an important observation and point, Paul. No matter how large your shop, there will always be that "one project" that comes along that is more demanding on space or places different requirements on workflow. Mobile bases provide for easy rearrangement and most never compromise stability of the tools. And, of course...there is always that new tool purchase to accomodate... :D