PDA

View Full Version : What to do with large burl

Art Teunissen
01-13-2016, 7:01 PM
Hello everyone,

New to the forums, and don't know if this is the best place to post this but here it goes.

Went for for a walk out at the farm last weekend and found this tree, must have walked by it a thousand times. What do you figure this would be best used for? What is pine burl like for figure?

I have a Hudson 36 inch sawmill, but don't think this will fit on it.

Was thinking it might make some nice end tables if cut across, a larger table split vertically.

Ian Moone
01-13-2016, 8:24 PM
I once felled a hardwood tree on my property that had a burl weighed around 4 tonnes in the top of it.
I used a wheel loader to load it on a small truck and carted it to a fella about 40 miles away had a horizontal band saw mill that could take logs up to 8ft in diameter.
He slabbed the burl across for me into about 1 and 1/4 inch slabs!.
I put the slabs of burl thru my kiln and made a few largish table platters etc, but there's a limited demand for such large pieces.
In the end I sold most of it... to a guy had great plans for it... and had it trucked up to him!
About 2 weeks later his factory caught fire and the whole lot was lost in the fire. least I'd got paid for it before it was all lost!
Shame tho... to see such unique wood lost to a fire.
Unless you have a specific end use for it - what do you do with it?
Still it's always nice to have - you do tend to find uses for it as time passes.

Cody Colston
01-14-2016, 9:12 AM
If you want the wood for yourself, then saw it to fit the project. Horizontal slabs would be nice for table tops. If you are intending to sell it, leave it as-is until a customer comes along and then saw to suit.