PDA

View Full Version : Doll House Progress

Jim Young
09-07-2005, 9:35 PM
I know, it's not fancy furniture or artsy boxes, but it still is woodworking and occupying most of my weekends. I wrote up a small photo essay on my website, but here are a few shots of the inprogress project.

http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/uploads/Projects/wdollhouse6_20050907.jpg
This is the overall house after the walls are set and some of the shingles have been stained and glued on.

http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/uploads/Projects/wdollhouse11_20050907.jpg
Here a closeup of the shignles which had to be hand cut into the gable joint.

We really need to do some painting now before I can go too much further.

Charles McKinley
09-07-2005, 9:40 PM
Very nice Jim!

What did you use to make the shingles and how are you attaching them? A doll house is on the shrt list as Munchkin one is 4 now and Munchkin two will be three in December.

Jim Young
09-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Pine shingles attached with liquid nails.

Dan Oliphant
09-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Well done Jim, working with such small pieces must be a challange all of it's own.

Ernie Hobbs
09-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Jim:

I like the dollhouse. I am in the early process of making one myself- my daughter turns 6 in a few weeks and I think she'd love a dollhouse for her birthday. Can you tell me the dimensions of your project? I like what you've done and might "borrow" some of your design.

Andy Hoyt
09-08-2005, 1:07 AM
Hey Jim. Nice job! Yup, those shingles sure are tedious, but they'll look really great once you issue that Certificate of Occupancy to the new home owner.

Okay, you've now satisfied the challenge I made to you yesterday on that other thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23909 so it's my turn. I guess this will be a shared thread if that's okay.

Here's my current dollhouse effort. I prepaint the windows, trim and siding prior to installation. Then windows and trim get installed and finessed which means sanding and re-painting. And I like this part because the painting can be sloppy.

Then the siding goes on.

Here are two pics for now. I'll post more tomorrow here and on my webpage, but it's too late to do much more than this for now.

Don Frambach
09-08-2005, 5:25 AM
Looks great!

Bill Lewis
09-08-2005, 5:37 AM
Don't let Jim Becker see these. Too late, now he's going to have to build 2! Have fun Jim!

Jim Becker
09-08-2005, 8:26 AM
Don't let Jim Becker see these. Too late, now he's going to have to build 2! Have fun Jim!

LOL! Maybe one day...
--------

Jim, that's a sharp looking doll house. I'm sure it will be loved! (And the grafiti on the "sheathing" reminds me of real construction...)

Kurt Aebi
09-08-2005, 9:30 AM
Those both look fantastic and believe me it IS REAL woodworking when you are working with such small areas - the tolerance for error is greatly reduced! The new owners will both be proud of those two units!

Jim - If you show those girls this post - your Maybe will become a Will Be! :D