PDA

View Full Version : How Does This Mechanism Work?

Stew Hagerty
01-13-2016, 12:52 PM
I have been volunteered to make something very nice for an auction to support a non-profit medical transportation service for the elderly & disabled.
One of the sponsors is a local jewelry store. So I am looking at ideas for Jewelry Boxes.
My wife (the volunteeror) and I found this when searching for design ideas. It's her favorite (although I don't like the wrought iron hardware at all).
My question here is about the slide-out/swing-out necklace & earring racks. I think I may have an idea how they work, but I'm not sure.
It looks to me like there is a wood rail top & bottom that slides in and out a short distance. In those rails is a T-slot that a "button" (I'm not sure what to call it) on the top & bottom of the racks slides in. When the "button" reaches the end of the rail, it is fully in front of the cabinet and can pivot.
I could be completely wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
What do you all think? And do you have any tips/ideas for building it?

329267 329268 329269 329270 329271 329272

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2016, 1:17 PM
I think the button/pivot is mounted on a sliding rail of sorts that won't come all the way out. Notice there is another rail on the sliding portion that is cut short to allow the pivoting and yet when turned and pushed in guides the sliding portion/drawer by holding the assembly in the middle of the T-slot of the stationary part of the slide assembly.

This project could be interesting and more complex than it would appear! Have fun!

Steve Peterson
01-13-2016, 3:55 PM
Another option is to skip the pull-out feature and just put a vertical hinge near the back so the entire side panel opens outward. This would still give 2 surfaces on each side to hang things.

I also think that the top surface should open to expose a mirror.

Google "wooden jewelry box with side compartments" and you will see many examples.

Steve

Greg Sznajdruk
01-13-2016, 5:38 PM
You may be able to adapt this door hinge.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=48629&cat=3,41305,55408&ap=1

Greg

Brian Henderson
01-13-2016, 6:10 PM
If I was going to do it really simply, I'd put a stopped t-track top and bottom of the side pullouts, mount the circular swivels on a t-bolt, then when you pulled it out, it would allow the pull out to swing from side to side. That might be over-simplifying it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Randy Rose
01-13-2016, 6:18 PM
I have been volunteered to make something very nice

My wife (the volunteeror)

That ^ has a somewhat familiar ring. :D

Bradley Gray
01-13-2016, 7:07 PM
I have used this type of hardware before to hang doors on rolling cabinets. Basically, a "follower" is mounted on drawer slides and the door (or in your case a jewelry rack) is hinged to the follower. In this case you could use a pivot instead of hinges.

I would like to see a side view of the piece with the drawers extended to see how the drawers are mounted - I would expect that the followers were mounted the same way.

Grant Wilkinson
01-14-2016, 8:10 AM
In addition to the link that Greg showed, here is another one from LV

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43614&p=43625

One of these 3 will likely work for you.