PDA

View Full Version : Standard lens vs. Premium lens - which one?????

Michele Welch
01-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Happy Wednesday y'all! I'm needing to get a new lens for my 80 w Rabbit Laser. From everything I can gather, I have a 2" lens, 50.8 mm, 20 mm diameter. I'm worried about buying from China on eBay and I've heard and read good things about Light Objects in Cali. But let me hear from the experts on here, which way would you go?

Also, my main question is about the actual difference between what is considered a "premium" lens vs. a "standard" lens. Is there a difference that I'll noticeably see when cutting or engraving?

Any suggestions, please send them my way!! Thanks a million and Happy New Year!!

Charlie Hawkins
01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Happy Wednesday y'all! I'm needing to get a new lens for my 80 w Rabbit Laser. From everything I can gather, I have a 2" lens, 50.8 mm, 20 mm diameter. I'm worried about buying from China on eBay and I've heard and read good things about Light Objects in Cali. But let me hear from the experts on here, which way would you go?

Also, my main question is about the actual difference between what is considered a "premium" lens vs. a "standard" lens. Is there a difference that I'll noticeably see when cutting or engraving?

Any suggestions, please send them my way!! Thanks a million and Happy New Year!!
Hi Michele,
I ordered from Win-Win Mechatronic on eBay for my Epilog Summit, they are 19mm and I ordered the normal not the HQ lens and it works well. They also carry the 20mm ones. It took about two weeks or less from China, and I received it no problem. I am definitely not an expert ( my 1964 Boy's Life defined expert as "X is unidentified, and spurt is a drip under pressure" ) hehe, but I am sharing my experience, it was only $21 for the lens. I have two one is 1 1/2" and the other is 2 1/2", I got the higher resolution one first, and will order the other one soon. I may try the $32 HQ one now, as it isn't cost prohibitive. Hope this helps!
Charlie

Charlie Hawkins
01-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Here is a link to one on eBay, 100% feedback for this seller, also.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-ZnSe-Epilog-Hobby-Laser-Lens-20mm-40-100W-cutter-engraver-FL-2-or-2-5-50mm-/151907284865?hash=item235e613781:g:EaoAAOSwBahU81S R

It ships from the USA also, so not as bad on shipping time

Kev Williams
01-14-2016, 11:11 AM
I know this much about good vs cheap lenses: The good ones are substantially more durable than the cheap ones. My 10 plus year old lenses in my LS900 and universal lasers will take a licking and keep on ticking when it comes to cleaning them up, the cheap ones scratch easily, and and seem to stain more easily. However, I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in the quality of the engraving between cheap and good lenses. Since the cheap lenses are only $20.00 a pop, for me, it's a no brainer. I can get five or six lenses for the same price as one decent lens, which also allows me to experiment with different focal lengths...

Jerome Stanek
01-14-2016, 11:22 AM
I know this much about good vs cheap lenses: The good ones are substantially more durable than the cheap ones. My 10 plus year old lenses in my LS900 and universal lasers will take a licking and keep on ticking when it comes to cleaning them up, the cheap ones scratch easily, and and seem to stain more easily. However, I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in the quality of the engraving between cheap and good lenses. Since the cheap lenses are only $20.00 a pop, for me, it's a no brainer. I can get five or six lenses for the same price as one decent lens, which also allows me to experiment with different focal lengths...

Also it's nice to have a spare when you have a job to run and the lens goes south

Michele Welch
01-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the replies y'all! I decided to go with the High Quality lens from Lightobjects.com. Their tech guy was beyond great to answer all my questions and it will be here in just 3 days. I don't have a problem buying from the eBay vendors, and I might get a cheap spare through them, but I've spoken to so many people who have given great reviews on LO and been happy with their purchase. Now I'll wait until it gets here and I get it installed and do some testing. I'll be able to tell a whole lot more then.

Again, thanks for being a great community to come to when I have a question!

David Somers
01-15-2016, 12:59 AM
Michele,

Just curious. Seems like you haven't had your laser that long? If that is correct, have you looked at why you went through a lens so quickly? Just thinking. No need to respond.

Dave

Michele Welch
01-15-2016, 8:57 AM
Well, that would be my own studipity! I cleaned my whole machine really well and thought I'd put everything back together correctly. Well, after 3 days and numerous hours on the phone and video chat with Ray from Rabbit Laser, he figured out that I'd put the lens in the wrong end if the focal tube. I put it on the top where a 100mm lens would go, not on the bottom

Kev Williams
01-15-2016, 11:17 AM
That would make focusing impossible, but shouldn't damage the lens...?

Michele Welch
01-15-2016, 9:16 PM
Well, when you don't know that's what you did and you try to get it to focus and it bounces weirdly off the 3rd mirror it can damage the lens being that it's much closer which is what happened to mine. It's only a small burn spot, but enough to see some decrease in power. I'd rather start with a new one. Lord, stupid, stupid, stupid, won't do that again :)

David Somers
01-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Bummer Michele! At least it wasn't an expensive mistake in terms of equipment. When you put the new lens in be sure it is oriented correctly. There is a convex and a concave side. Convex side should be up. Just in case you weren't aware.

Good luck!

Dave