PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 Kreg Pocket Hole Jigs for Christmas, any need for both?

Steven Pearson
01-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a beginner in woodworking. I have built mostly 2x4 shelves, workbenches, and fish tank stands. I also built what I think is a pretty nice front porch. I would like to try my hand at some basic furniture now. From what I see in plans, most basic tables and chairs need pocket holes. So for Christmas, I asked my family for a KREG K3 JR (http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-R3-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B000J43A7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452653802&sr=8-2&keywords=kreg). I figured it should be all I need to get going for quite some time.

Well, I ended up getting the K3, as well as a KREG K4 (http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-K4-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B001DYFISG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1452653802&sr=8-12&keywords=kreg).

Now my question is, if I just keep the K4, is there ever a time when I would need the smaller K3? Is the K4 overkill for the basic projects I will be making?

I am pretty broke, so returning one of the two is ideal if I don't really need them both. I hate to part with the K4 as it seems like a much better tool, but I am just basing this off appearance and Amazon reviews.

ken masoumi
01-12-2016, 10:36 PM
I have owned K3jr for the past 4-5 years and did plenty pocket holes with it for the first 2 years but then I moved on to other types of joinery and nowadays I use it less often, I can tell you that K3 will do just about everything the other models do but slower , more time to set up,etc. . I never found myself wishing I had the "better"/more expensive version of it .

Mike Berrevoets
01-12-2016, 10:48 PM
I have an older/simpler version of the k3. If it broke tomorrow I'd buy the K3 and not spend anymore for the K4. The main purpose is to drill a hole at the correct angle and depth. To me the K3 would accomplish that just fine as has the older simpler version that I have.

i'd return the K4 and buy the face frame clamp for $20. (The ones that look like a fancy pair of vise grips with a big pad.) Those help for holding the jig on the piece to drill the holes and for keeping the two pieces aligned when putting the screws in to make the connection. Then you have about $80 bucks in your pocket for some lumber. :)

And welcome to the Creek! I don't post much but I read every day and always find some good tips and advice here.

Ben Rivel
01-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Personally if it were me, Id return/sell both and pick up the K5!

Tom Ewell
01-12-2016, 11:59 PM
You can get by with the little one if you don't have call for anything resembling 'production'.

I have several variations, my K3 is mounted to a board that hangs on the wall while not in use and goes to the bench when I get ready to do a bunch of holes and the vac port clears the chips and actually helps a little in holding the stock while you position and clamp.

The little one gets used for on site occasional work and any projects that are too awkward to bring to the bench.

Might suggest unloading the K4 and picking up one(or two) of the new automaxx clamps.... I use similar (non kreg) clamps all of the time for all kinds of additional stuff....kinda like having a third or fourth hand.

Matt Day
01-13-2016, 7:30 AM
I've had the K3 for a while now - love it when I use it which isn't a whole lot. Pocket screw joinery is a great way to start woodworking.

Michael Zerance
01-13-2016, 8:26 AM
I have the kreg master kit that comes with the mini (http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-MKJKIT-Mini-Jig-Kit/dp/B00065WPP2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1452691071&sr=8-9&keywords=kreg+k3) and the portable (http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KPDGB-Portable-Drill-Guide/dp/B003Y8XD2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452691180&sr=8-1&keywords=kreg+k3+portable). I use the mini and portable (which function similar to the k3) for drilling pocket holes on the ends of long boards that would otherwise be difficult to manage in the k4 or when I need to drill pocket holes in pieces that are already installed, such as inside of a cabinet. The k4 is nice for doing a lot of holes as it can be fastened to a bench and the vacuum attachment works well to clear the jig and work area of chips.

Brian Tymchak
01-13-2016, 8:28 AM
I have the K5 but no practical experience with either the K3 or K4. However, I have read that the K3 clamp lever is on the front and the K4 has it in the back which some owners claimed to be awkward to use when working around a piece of any size. (The K5 moved it back to the front side). So, that may be a data point in your decision.

Chris Hachet
01-13-2016, 8:45 AM
I find having more than one helpful. If nothing else, keep an extra bit or two around....

Matthew Hills
01-13-2016, 9:31 AM
Is it the K3 or the K3jr?

My understanding is that the full K3 jig has the clamp lever in the front of the jig; the K4 has it in the back. I've got an older jig with lever in the back, and it works fine; have heard others prefer the front lever, where they don't need to reach around.

As others have said, the extra bits/drivers are nice. I've also tended to lend out my jig, so having a loaner isn't a bad thing.

If you try and build anything accurately, you'll be wanting to secure the workpieces as you drive the screws.
The Kreg right-angle clamp can be very helpful for butt joints. You can also get creative with making temporary jigs to hold pieces in position (e.g., plywood surface with some fences to keep the pieces in place)

Matt

Daniel O'Neill
01-13-2016, 10:38 AM
I have an older version of the K4. I've used it in most of my shop builds (not that many since I'm just starting too :)) They do work pretty well. One thing that is kind of mentioned is that the K3 seems like it would have more mobility. I have had to clamp the K4 in awkward spots because I forgot to drill a hole and it works okay but I guess if I was only going to keep one at this point ... for the price I'd say you could take the K4 back and get a decent jig saw or sander. One downside to the older K4 that I noticed was that you have to support long boards in order to get them to clamp straight. It's not that big of a deal and maybe it's not worth getting rid of the K4.
You can build a lot of cool stuff with Kreg Jigs so have fun!

Andrew Pitonyak
01-13-2016, 1:06 PM
I love my K4. If it was not opened, I would replace it with the K5 so that I would have the clamp in front of the work piece (since you cannot reach around a large panel). Fast and easy to use. I like the smaller ones for objects where you just can use it with the K4/K5, you take that little portable thing and do things in place. Works well.

So, the advantage to the K4 is that it is faster than the single item unit. Only you can say if it is worth your time to be able to do those things faster.

I remember the first time I used a Kreg jig in a class to build a book shelf. I purchased my own kreg jig that week.

Greg Hines, MD
01-13-2016, 2:14 PM
I have a K4 and like it. I have mounted it onto a plywood base with a cleat under it, but otherwise, I use it all the time. It am not sure that the K3 adds anything to it, as you do have a portable base for it included with the K4.

Doc

Jerry Olexa
01-14-2016, 10:10 AM
IMHO, keep one. return other...Keep most current, biggest model..They are a handy tool. Just my opinion

Michael Zerance
01-14-2016, 11:23 AM
I am not sure that the K3 adds anything to it, as you do have a portable base for it included with the K4.

The K4 master kit includes the portable base; it is not included in the product that the original poster linked to.

Jesse Busenitz
01-14-2016, 6:36 PM
I have a K4 and the Foreman, and just today I was using them both one on 1/2" ply and the other for 3/4" face frames.... I'm thinking if I stick with 1/2" ply for my cabinets I might buy another foreman.... they make pocket holes a total breeze. But I do this for a living so it may not be applicable.

Von Bickley
01-14-2016, 10:25 PM
I have the K4 and like it. If I was getting a new one, I would go with the K5.

Bill McNiel
01-14-2016, 11:33 PM
No idea regarding your query but.....seems like an embarrassment of riches. You need to get your gift givers coordinated or give them my "wish list". These people like/love you and are listening and responding.