PDA

View Full Version : 2nd attempt with Rockler dovetail jig

Michael Cole
01-12-2016, 9:57 PM
I had time to try the dovetail jig again today and I have to say I am getting somewhat frustrated. I seem to be unable to get the through dovetails deep enough. I am using my Festool 1400 and the jig. If I set the bit out too far it won't cut the wood and if I set it so it will cut the wood the resulting cut is not deep enough for the pins to match up. Any ideas on what the heck I am doing wrong. Also, the first dovetails which were too short were cut nicely, but later attempts are not as nice and look kind of jagged. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.
Also, I would like to ask a couple of other questions. Are the Leigh jigs worth the added expense? And what is the difference between the DR4 and the Super series. Is the DR4 worth the extra hundred dollars? If I upgrade, I want to do it right.

Denis Kenzior
01-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Michael,

Leigh has a nice comparison sheet which lists the differences between the various jigs. See here: https://www.leighjigs.com/download/DTJigComparison%20-%20Mar4%2015.pdf

I own the older D4 which is similarly capable to the new top of the line model. Very happy with it.

Ray Newman
01-12-2016, 11:32 PM
What wood are you practicing with? Based upon my personal experience and what others have said, pine and oak will not cut well. A hardwood works best.

I have the older Leigh 24" D3 jig, which is similar to the new D4 series. Works well, but like all dovetail jigs it does have a learning curve! The more you work with it, the set-up becomes easier and quicker. If I was to use my D3 tomorrow, I would need to take time to work through the manual. Leigh receives raves about its very good manual. You will need to spend some time setting it up. If you 'spring for' a Leigh make notes in the margin as the jig settings. It will save you time later on!

I also have the 1601--16" and 201--24" Keller dovetail jigs. These are very easy to work with -- either with a hand-held router or a router table. I have not tried to cut variable spacing dovetails with the Keller jigs, but have been told it can easily be done.

In the past, I utilized a Sears jig, which is/was very similar to the Rockler and others. I found it difficult to use. The Leigh was/is a major step up from the Sears type jigs, but takes a while to learn to set up. I found that the Keller is the easiest to utilize -- very easy and simple set-up and has a short introductory/instructional DVD.

I think if I was doing it all over, I would probably just have the Keller. While variable spaced dovetails might be easier on the Leigh and Leigh has conversion attachments for mortise and tenon and finger joints, you will need to decide if the expense will be worth the cost of the accessories, learning curve ,and set-up times

For Those-Not-In-The-Know about Keller jigs: http://www.kellerdovetail.com/

Lee Schierer
01-13-2016, 8:51 AM
My Rockler jig isn't capable of making through dovetails. I can only make half blind. It uses a 14 degree dovetail bit that is about 1/2" in diameter with a 1/4" shank. Are your sure that your jig is capable of through dovetails?

Ray Newman
01-13-2016, 9:58 AM
Is this the jig you have??--

If so, the on-line catalogue says it will cut through dovetails. I thought you had the Rockler like the Sears, etc., that only cut half blind dovetails.

The jig comes with 2 bits. Are you cutting with the right profile bit for the through dovetails?

Hoang N Nguyen
01-13-2016, 10:57 AM
I think the key question is.... Do you have the right dove tail bit. I had that same issue with my Leigh dovetail jig until I realized the bits I had wasn't meant for 3/4" stock but rather 1/2".

While using the wrong bit, if I lower the bit to cut the right depth, the upper parts of the dovetails wouldn't cut, set it high enough to cut the upper parts then it doesn't cut deep enough.

Picked up a new bit and problem was solved.

Michael Cole
01-13-2016, 12:48 PM
My Rockler jig isn't capable of making through dovetails. I can only make half blind. It uses a 14 degree dovetail bit that is about 1/2" in diameter with a 1/4" shank. Are your sure that your jig is capable of through dovetails?
The directions say it can. I can't though!

Michael Cole
01-13-2016, 12:52 PM
I think the key question is.... Do you have the right dove tail bit. I had that same issue with my Leigh dovetail jig until I realized the bits I had wasn't meant for 3/4" stock but rather 1/2".

While using the wrong bit, if I lower the bit to cut the right depth, the upper parts of the dovetails wouldn't cut, set it high enough to cut the upper parts then it doesn't cut deep enough.

Picked up a new bit and problem was solved.

That is a good question. It is the bit that came with it. Maybe it doesn't work but the directions say that it can use 3/4" stock.

Hoang N Nguyen
01-13-2016, 1:39 PM
That is a good question. It is the bit that came with it. Maybe it doesn't work but the directions say that it can use 3/4" stock.

I'm not sure about the Rockler jig but with the Leigh jig, they have a bit for different stock thickness. I just happen to pick the smaller one without knowing it. See if you can flip through the manual to see if they have a bit chart you can refer to.

Ray Newman
01-13-2016, 1:45 PM
Is this the jig: “Complete Dovetail Jig” -- www.rockler.com/rockler-s-complete-dovetail-jig (http://www.rockler.com/rockler-s-complete-dovetail-jig)

Per the on-line instructions -- http://go.rockler.com/tech/Rockler-Complete-Dovetail-Jig-Instructions.pdf (http://go.rockler.com/tech/Rockler-Complete-Dovetail-Jig-Instructions.pdf) I quickly read the instructions and noted that:

--Page one the on-line instructions says that the jig comeswith three bits: 5/16” straight and ½” shank 14 degree and 8 degreebits.

--Full dovetail instructions are found on page five. The templates must be changed and various stock stops must be re-set whenchanging from half blind to through dovetails and/or changing from ½” or ¾”stock. Install the ½” 8 degree bit to cut through dovetail tail piece.

Wayne Jolly
01-13-2016, 5:46 PM
I just recently went through what you are going through. From my limited experience with the Rockler Jig, I was never satisfied with the through dovetails I got from it, but I was ok with half-blinds. There were a couple of things that I did not like about it too. Two things pop into mind without thinking too hard. 1 - It just took way too much fiddling to get it right. 2 - Your drawer sides had to be sized right, meaning on the 1/2 inch width boundary, and one inch would be better. If, for whatEVER reason, you wanted say a 3 1/4" drawer side you are out of luck. You could do it, but they would look funny.

So. I found a older Leigh D3 on Craigslist and since I had been wanting one for a long time I bought it. It was in great shape and came with all of the original tools etc., a few router bits (the ones that I need for now), the MM2 mortise and tenon attachment, and two routers (sorta. One was a VERY old PC 6902 that has a sticker on it saying "Proudly made in the U.S.A.", and has a METAL carrying case. The other is a PC trim router, also old. But they work). My first step was to buy the upgrade kit from Leigh and now my D3 is, for all practical purposes, upgraded to the D4. Once I got it all set back up and re-adjusted everything, I took a stab at making through dovetails. I had a piece of 1x6 pine laying around, and despite hearing how pine was not good for making dovetails, they came out GREAT. I really like the variable spacing that the Leigh gives you, as opposed to the honeycomb that the Rockler tries to give you. :-) With the Leigh there isn't really a lot of setup involved. There is some, of course, but I think the hardest part was simply deciding just how I wanted the dovetails spaced.

Bottom Line? If you want a good, solid, versatile dovetail jig, and also like variable spacing, You have two choices. Leigh, or learn how to cut them by hand.

Wayne

Michael Cole
01-13-2016, 9:06 PM
Thanks Wayne Jolly. I think you just reinforced what I was thinking anyway. I will get a Leigh. Now, will the Super jig work well or do I need to go whole hog with the D4?

Jerry Olexa
01-14-2016, 10:11 AM
I thought that jig only did half blind, not through.

Wayne Jolly
01-14-2016, 1:46 PM
Now, will the Super jig work well or do I need to go whole hog with the D4?

Well now for that, you will have to evaluate your budget, your needs, and maybe more importantly, your WANTS. Personally, the D4 is a lot more jig than I NEEDED, and the Rockler Jig would have sufficed (eventually). But this is America dang it, and I WANTED the Leigh. :-) I found a good one on Craigslist, and I had the money this time, so I bought it mostly because I WANTED it. I'm glad I did.

I just visited the Leigh website and they have quite a few Videos about the Super Jig. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking through all the info, but the differences between it, and the D4R Pro seem to be few.

The MM2 (Multiple Mortise and Tenon) attachment is not available for the Supers.
The D4R being larger will take up a little more storage space when not in use.
The fingers on the Supers are one piece and the D4R are two piece. I can only think of one practical use for that, and that would be to widen a tail or pin to allow for a kerf cut through it. Like when making a box and then cutting the top off.
ISOLOC templates are available on the Super 18 and 24 (not the 12), but they are not interchangeable with the D4R.
The board alignment guides on the front of the D4R are larger than the Supers. This is both good and bad. The guides on the D4R are larger, and are adjustable where the Supers do not seem to be. At least not as much as the D4R. The good part is that the edge alignment on the D4R is about 4" wide while it looks like the Super is only about maybe 2". It looks like the D4R would be more stable and accurate. The bad part is that the guides on the front of the jig now hang down below the jig so they must hang over the edge of the surface the jig is mounted on. Maybe not a big problem during use, but when stored the guides are more exposed to damage unless you take some precautions.

I would suggest, at the very least visit the Leigh website if haven't already. I have also contacted Leigh via email with a few questions I had, and the response was alarmingly fast. As soon as I clicked send, I went to the kitchen and got a coffee refill. When I came back to my computer just a few minutes later I already had a response. Amazing. I don't think they have online chat, but telephone and email. From my experience, their customer support is Excellent.

Good Luck,

Wayne