PDA

View Full Version : Are Lasers Well Suited For Mylar?

Stephanie DeLaOsa
01-12-2016, 7:53 PM
Hello everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I need an opinion on whether a blade cutting machine, like a KNK Zing Air, or a laser cutter (not sure which), is better for cutting 5 mil stencils? I use opaque Mylar and have always used a blade cutter to make stencils. The thing is, I would like to cut faster and avoid a tacky cutting mats in my current KNK setup. Don't get me wrong, the machine I have works great but I wanted to inquire on laser cutters.

I have searched a few threads and it seems possible but I guess I need a heavy duty machine? Before I used a cutting machine, I had someone who had an Epilog cut them for me for a price. They always weren't the best as they were always a it melted on the ends and left a lot to be desired.

Any advice on a laser cutter that can cut just Mylar? I am not interested in other materials.

Scott Shepherd
01-12-2016, 8:05 PM
I guess the answer would be "it depends". I cut mylar reasonably often. It can be melty, but it can also cut pretty clean. It depends on how fast you are trying to get things done. I do super intricate small things and under magnification it looks melted, but with the human eye, it looks pretty sharp.

Your best bet is to talk to the manufacturers. They all have application labs. Get them to cut you a small number of them provide you with the times it takes, etc. Or, if you have a sales rep in the area, get them to do a demo and cut your products.

Will the laser do it? Certainly.

By the way, I removed the link to your website. Posting links to your website isn't allowed on here.

Stephanie DeLaOsa
01-12-2016, 8:37 PM
Ah I am sorry for posting the site. I will instead upload an image of one I typically cut (5.5" x 5.5"). Do laser manufacturers typical cut as a sample run? I remember trying to talk to Epilog one time and they said they could not sell to me as I am a sole proprietor and not a bigger business.

How fast can you typically cut something of what I attached?

Bert Kemp
01-12-2016, 8:51 PM
is that 5 x 5 Inches pending on laser tube power a few min's more power faster cutting put the cdr file up and maybe some one has a scrap piece of mylar kicking round and will do a test for you.

Scott Shepherd
01-12-2016, 8:56 PM
Just tell them you are interested in buying a machine but you need to know whether it makes financial sense and the quality has to meet your standards. All the western machines, Epilog, Universal, And Trotec all have application engineering departments that spend their days doing tests like that for potential customers. You might have a good sales rep in your area that will demo the machine cutting your material.

I dont know know on the time, I'm not at work, but on a 75w machine, 5"x5", that's probably about 60-90 seconds, guessing, of course.

Norm Zurawski
01-12-2016, 9:22 PM
"I remember trying to talk to Epilog one time and they said they could not sell to me as I am a sole proprietor and not a bigger business."

Not sure why that was. I am a one man shop not related to laser cutting but purchased a new machine and I learned about the machine from a friend who is not a business and purchased a machine.

Bert Kemp
01-12-2016, 9:30 PM
I can't imagine Epilog not wanting to sell you a machine. I'm sure they sell to individuals and hobbyist as well.

Kev Williams
01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
How would Epilog (or anyone else) define a 'bigger' business? I'm a 'sole proprietor', work out of my home, but I don't know of many 'big' shops that have anywhere near as much equipment as I have.

The engraving business in general isn't known as 'big' in the first place... ?

Braden Todd
01-13-2016, 10:47 AM
I just cut around 6 hrs worth of Mylar using my Kern and Epilog ext 75 watt, no melting or issues. Had some light brown edges from smoke clearing but the Mylar was in great shape and very very detailed.

Epilog will ill sell to a sole prop., that's what I was when I bought my first and possibly second machine from them. If you need a rep that will help you pm me and I'll get you connected with mine, even after the sale he has been great and is always there to answer questions.

Good luck

Lee DeRaud
01-14-2016, 12:59 AM
I can't imagine Epilog not wanting to sell you a machine. I'm sure they sell to individuals and hobbyist as well.They may just mean that Epilog (corporate) won't sell directly to an individual, you have to go through one of their distributors.