PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bleaching

Rick Johnston
01-12-2016, 5:26 PM
My project is only 10 square feet. I'm building a wall shelf unit to match one from a couple of years ago. At the time I used soft maple and it was a very light colored wood - almost a blonde look. I finished it with satin - Arm r Seal.

I sorted through boards at my wood supplier and could not find a couple of boards that were light enough. I don't care really whether is hard or soft maple - the light color is all that matters. All his boards were more the traditional light beige tone.
This is the same supplier I got the original shelf material from - but that was a year ago.

I was thinking about driving 70 miles to another supplier to check out his stock. I'm not too optimistic about finding what I need there either - but you don't know until you look.

I'm considering bleaching. Before I read much about it, I tried clorox and hydrogen peroxide on a scrap piece. That did nothing. After more reading, only two part solution especially for such purposes work.

I found a Zinsser wood bleach product online at Menards. 1/2 pint for less that 10 dollars. The local store his it in stock.

Before I buy it and experiment, I wonder if it's likely this will be the solution to my wood color??? I"ve read where the color removes the wood grain background. I'm not interested in a white piece of paper - just a light toned/blonde look with the wood grain still showing.

Rick

Sam Puhalovich
01-13-2016, 7:59 AM
Understand your dilemma ... before you drive that 70 miles: applying the bleach will be done done AFTER the final sanding ... I've had experience with 2 products with reasonable success.
DAP sells a wood bleach, which is essentially Oxalic Acid crystals ... was about $8 12 oz container ... did a wonderful job cleaning-up water stains and lightening the door color.
You can buy Klean-Strip Wood Bleach at the borg ... it's a 2 part mix that (for my purpose) was more effective ... I sprayed it on yellow-pine door frames. It significantly reduced the color of the heartwood.
I'd try those on the material you have before the drive.

Howard Acheson
01-13-2016, 9:05 AM
There are three types of bleach used in woodworking. Each has a specific use.

First is a chlorine bleach used to decolor dye stain.

The second is oxalic acid used to bleach out mineral stains like metal reaction to wood tannin

The third is 2 part A/B bleach which is the one used to reduce or remove thenatural wood color.

The third is the one you want. The other two will not do a very good or complete job.

Rick Johnston
01-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Thank you!

Rick Johnston
01-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Went to the Kleen Strip site for their "wood bleach".
Product discontinued and a recall July 2015.
It was sold in gallon containers.