PDA

View Full Version : Active to inactive window in Windows 10

Judson Green
01-12-2016, 1:57 PM
I bought myself a laptop for Xmas (nothing special, a $300 Lenovo) and everything works fantastic, but often a window I'm working in will not be active anymore. Not an issue when just reading stuff as i can scroll inactive windows by just hovering the mouse over it, but when typing, the laptop will start beeping at me when/if the window goes inactive. Sometimes the window will, in just a few seconds, return to its previous state all on its own, sometimes not.

I've googled around and couldn't find anything that fits what I'm experiencing and asked a IT buddy of mine

glenn bradley
01-12-2016, 2:01 PM
I have had similar symptoms from fat-fingering. If the laptop has a touchpad be sure you are not brushing against it. Some laptops allow the pad to be disabled when typing occurs.

Rick Christopherson
01-12-2016, 2:05 PM
It's called stealing the focus, and you need to identify which program is doing it. Most likely culprit is antivirus software, but sometimes email clients can also do it. Knowing that it's called stealing the focus will help you google causes.

Judson Green
01-12-2016, 2:06 PM
the touch pad is disabled most of the time (almost all of the time) and the issue persists

Judson Green
01-12-2016, 2:08 PM
thank you. figgered it was something like that but didnt know what to look for or term to google

Judson Green
01-12-2016, 7:06 PM
Thanks again Rick.

Downloaded a small program called Focus and then found out its is indeed my anti virus taking the focus

Rick Christopherson
01-12-2016, 7:34 PM
Interesting. Can you tell me how to locate that program? I have some process on my system that steals focus for just a second, and can't identify which one.

Judson Green
01-13-2016, 11:57 AM
hope this isn't a rule breaker. its free simple program and it might help others that browse here.

http://www.happydroid.com/focus

Just download and unzip then run the exe. When the focus is stolen click over to the running focus app/screen and you'll see what took it. In my case its McUICnt.exe

Check out the screen shots.

329265 329266