PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker's Newest Tool -- Story Stick Pro - 96

George Bokros
01-12-2016, 8:53 AM
I have been thinking about a story stick for a while. How many of you have one, not a home made one for a specific job, and do you find you use it enough that it was a worthwhile purchase?

I am thinking about getting the new one from Woodpeckers.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

http://www.woodpeck.com/sspro96.html#3214

(http://www.woodpeck.com/sspro96.html#3214)

Andrew Pitonyak
01-12-2016, 9:41 AM
I do have one from Wood Peckers. I don't remember if I have just the long one, or also a shorter one. Prior to purchasing this, I was using story sticks often, and I just drew them onto a piece of scrap from a cut-off. After purchase, I have had very little need for one (figures).

If you plan on wandering into Columbus, you can check it out. Heck, if you really want one, I will give you a very good deal on one since mine is just collecting dust. That would be a good way for me to unexpectedly start a project where it would use it :rolleyes:

I don't remember if this is the second or third time that they have made this tool. I think that they made some minor changes each time.

eugene thomas
01-12-2016, 9:44 AM
Sure the slams will come but I can see how handy would be in the shop. Just overcoming the cost...

George Bokros
01-12-2016, 9:51 AM
I do have one from Wood Peckers. I don't remember if this is the second or third time that they have made this tool. I think that they made some minor changes each time.

This one is an additional length. They still have the 24" and the 48". This one has some new arms in addition to the standard ones they had and is also twice the length of the previous 48 inch but in three sections.

Reinis Kanders
01-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Real story stick is basically a pattern to use if one makes more then one thing more then once so that the story stick can be put somewhere for reuse intact with all the relevant marks.
These are more like a fancy ruler.

Keith Weber
01-12-2016, 11:50 AM
The video started out pretty good. I could see how it would be very handy laying out repetitive lines. It kinda got ridiculous as it neared the end of the video when they were using it to measure gaps and set the table saw fence. I think a regular tape measure would be less cumbersome and quicker for those tasks. I was kind of laughing near the end of the video when they showed all the pieces that they were throwing into the kit. It reminded me of those Ronco-type commercials, where "if you order in the next 5 minutes, you'll get not one... not two... but THREE Story sticks for 30 easy payments of only $9.99." [plus shipping & handling. Void where prohibited. Not available in South Carolina.]

Hopefully those clear plastic stops are made out of the tough type of plastic, and not that stuff that shatters into shrapnel when you bump it into something.

Ben Rivel
01-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Couple of poor reviews on Amazon for the 48" model. LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BG66U6/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i4_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0J4A16Q008HP84A1HTJ7&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop) Sound bad enough to make me pass. Sounds like the multi-section setup is the inherent flaw of the product.

George Bokros
01-12-2016, 1:22 PM
One review has nothing to do with the item. The reviewer was not happy the item was not at a discounted price on Amazon.

The issue the other review cited has been eliminated with additional revised arms that are included with the new version.

Bill White
01-12-2016, 2:03 PM
A tool lookin' for a job.
Bill

Ben Rivel
01-12-2016, 2:30 PM
A tool lookin' for a job.
Bill
Yea thats what I have found most Woodpeckers products to be. I love the ones I have but honestly they, like this one, are mostly solutions looking for problems.

Dan Hulbert
01-12-2016, 2:34 PM
Just about anything can be a good story stick, save your money.
We move about every 6 years and each time my wife feels the need to add "plantation" shades to at least one room. If you find the right width at big blue or orange, you end up adjusting the length by removing slats. These leftovers make great story sticks. Mark them with pencil for one-off jobs, nick them with a knife for repeat jobs. Nice square ends for butting into corners or aligning with edges, wide enough to write additional notes on them, easy to cut if you have a short story to tell, and did I mention free?

Allan Speers
01-12-2016, 3:32 PM
I think something like this would be extremely useful for a high-volume production shop, or a pro cabinet builder.

For a hobbyist, it seems like massive overkill.

Rich Riddle
01-12-2016, 4:44 PM
I typically think Woodpecker tends to make overpriced gadgets that lack most functionality. This tool possesses functionality at a bit of a cost. If it could save me hours of time and mistakes, this one is easily worth the cost if for nothing else other than reduced frustration. Sure, I could make one inexpensively but it likely wouldn't be as accurate.

Bruce Page
01-12-2016, 4:50 PM
I think they're one of those nice to have, but not essential tools. If I were going to buy the Woodpeckers I would get an extra pack of tabs for it. They look fragile.

Mike Chalmers
01-12-2016, 8:05 PM
The Lee Valley $16 version (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32585&cat=1,43513,43553) is what I have. It does the job very well. Woodpecker is ridiculously over priced.

Allan Speers
01-12-2016, 8:14 PM
The Lee Valley $16 version (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32585&cat=1,43513,43553) is what I have. It does the job very well. Woodpecker is ridiculously over priced.

I have something like the LV set, but in metal. (telescopic) I use them CONSTANTLY, especially for inside measurements.

Susumu Mori
01-12-2016, 9:07 PM
I have one.
Don't use it very often but when I do, I find it very useful.
Anything for repetitive measures. I use it to mark multiple Domino, drawer locations, or positions inside a frame or carcase.
I like it.

Peter Quinn
01-12-2016, 9:43 PM
When I was a chef, I used to watch the bakers make bread in the early mornings. The last thing they did was prepare the starter for the next day, it was a link between dough and yeast that spanned years, a very organic way to propagate the trade. Always a bit of the last dough in the next. When I do a job at work I always save a few rips of plywood, a drop from a long poplar molding, story poles for the next job stood up in the corner. Its stuff that would have gone in the trash, put to good practical use. I love wood peckers, but some of that stuff just gets weird. As soon as they call it "pro" you can be sure it isn't. What are all those gizmos on there? How do you lay that thing out? Sometimes I have 25 lines on a 10' pole.....how am I going to fit 25 of those spacer ruler plastic thingies in close proximity at times? I'm looking at that thing and thinking about how I translate a set of plans into a story pole and then into an actual product, and I can't for the life of me think of how I would use that thing to do that job. I can however think of lots of things to do with $100. So put me in the don't do it column, solves problem I don't have.

Frank Martin
01-13-2016, 2:05 AM
I totally agree. I have the earlier version and I find the traditional sticks that are otherwise waste a lot more functional. The problem for me with this version is not primarily the price, this is basically a tool that is actually inferior to the traditional alternative. Like many, I do have quite a few Woodpecker tools but don't understand the value of many of these newer attempts at solving problems that don't exist in real life.

When I was a chef, I used to watch the bakers make bread in the early mornings. The last thing they did was prepare the starter for the next day, it was a link between dough and yeast that spanned years, a very organic way to propagate the trade. Always a bit of the last dough in the next. When I do a job at work I always save a few rips of plywood, a drop from a long poplar molding, story poles for the next job stood up in the corner. Its stuff that would have gone in the trash, put to good practical use. I love wood peckers, but some of that stuff just gets weird. As soon as they call it "pro" you can be sure it isn't. What are all those gizmos on there? How do you lay that thing out? Sometimes I have 25 lines on a 10' pole.....how am I going to fit 25 of those spacer ruler plastic thingies in close proximity at times? I'm looking at that thing and thinking about how I translate a set of plans into a story pole and then into an actual product, and I can't for the life of me think of how I would use that thing to do that job. I can however think of lots of things to do with $100. So put me in the don't do it column, solves problem I don't have.

Dan Rude
01-14-2016, 12:09 AM
I picked these up: http://www.ezwoodshop.com/easy-wood-project-tools.html I do not use them all the time, but I like them when I do. Quick to use and more accurate than my tape measure. For bigger jobs I use the Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32585&cat=1,43513,43553 and make various lengths up. I also use the April Fools tool for more permanent records.http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=65357&cat= I use this when I save my wall stud locations before drywall. The only issue is finding something that can write on it. Dan

Allan Speers
01-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Dan, that's what I have.

Great little time-saver.

Ben Rivel
01-14-2016, 1:03 AM
Looks like Rockler has their own version of the Lee Valley Bar Gauge: LINK (http://www.rockler.com/rockler-3-in-1-bar-gauge)

Greg Sznajdruk
01-14-2016, 9:11 AM
Lee Valley also has a story tape measure.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=65359&cat=1,43513,65359

This actually started as an April Fools gag, but some took it as an actual product and tried to buy this tape. Today it is a product.

Greg

Prashun Patel
01-14-2016, 9:30 AM
Now I've seen everything.

What's next? Lifetime guarantee foam brushes?

lowell holmes
01-14-2016, 10:51 AM
I use two flat sticks and two binder clips. One end of each stick is beveled. I make marks on the sticks if needed.
Paint sticks work well.