PDA

View Full Version : hand saw sharpening service

Ray Newman
01-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Colleagues: have a Sanders-Kayser dovetail saw and a Tyzack & Sons and Turner back saw that needs sharpening. But I can not find anyone up here in the Pacific North Wet (AKA Washington) who can sharpen them.

Any ideas as to whom might be able to do the work?

I am not adverse to sending out of state to do the work.

Jim Davis
01-12-2016, 12:38 AM
There's some outfit in Portland, if I remember even that bit correctly.

BTW, grammar is still off. Should be "... who might be able to do the work."

steven c newman
01-12-2016, 12:52 AM
Contact Bob Summerfield over in Montana. Missula???

Doug Bowman
01-12-2016, 1:04 AM
MarvW on that other forum comes highly recommended he is in california

Patrick Chase
01-12-2016, 1:13 AM
Colleagues: have a Sanders-Kayser dovetail saw and a Tyzack & Sons and Turner back saw that needs sharpening. But I can not find anyone up here in the Pacific North Wet (AKA Washington) who can sharpen them.

Any ideas as to whom might be able to do the work?

I am not adverse to sending out of state to do the work.

Isn't Wenzloff up there somewhere, maybe Oregon? Not sure if he does a la carte sharpening work, but his saws have a good reputation for out-of-box tune.

Isaac at Blackburn has posted a fairly current (Jan 2015) list (http://www.blackburntools.com/saw-sharpening/index.html) of recommended services. The same MarvW that somebody else also suggested is one of them.

Finally, Pete Taran (a co-founder of Independence saws, which was in turn bought by Lie-Nielsen to start their saw business) at vintagesaws at least used to offer sharpening services.

EDIT: Mark Harrell at Bad Axe offers sharpening services. He charges a pretty penny ($45) to work on a "foreign" (non-Bad Axe) saw but his work is absolutely top notch. I have one of his saws and it's impeccably tuned. IMO when people on this forum rave about their Bad Axes 80% of that is the sharpening job...

lowell holmes
01-12-2016, 7:54 AM
Jim Koepke can help you with your question.

glenn bradley
01-12-2016, 8:29 AM
Snook's Saw is in your general area. They have made carbide cutters for me that are just top notch but, no direct experience with their hand saw work although they do show it as a service on the web page:

Snook's Saw Service, Inc.
1-800-272-2570 503-581-2570
P.O. Box 12246
1455 Oak St. S.E.
Salem, Oregon 97309

sales@snooks-saw.com (sales@snooks-saw.com)
6:30 am - 4:00 pm Mon- Fri. Pacific Time

Ray Newman
01-12-2016, 3:55 PM
Colleagues: thanks for the information.

Jim Koepke
01-12-2016, 5:59 PM
Jim Koepke can help you with your question.

Which question?

I do not know any local saw sharpeners. I sharpen my own, but do not feel I am good enough to do other folks saws.

jtk

lowell holmes
01-12-2016, 6:26 PM
Which question?

I do not know any local saw sharpeners. I sharpen my own, but do not feel I am good enough to do other folks saws.

jtk

I thought you might know, but I understand you don't. I think a local Woodcraft store would know where to find the service.

In the Houston-Galveston area, Circle Saw offers that service. They also can re-tooth saws.

steven c newman
01-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Robert Summerfield @ Rocky Mountain Saw Works. Missoula MT

He prefers that the saws get shipped with just the plate, saves on shipping that way. For both parties.

Randy Karst
01-14-2016, 1:06 AM
MarvW on that other forum comes highly recommended he is in california
Plus 1 on MarvW; he has dose a terrific job. He has sharpened a few saws for me; high quality workl

Randy Karst
01-14-2016, 1:13 AM
Robert Summerfield @ Rocky Mountain Saw Works. Missoula MT

He prefers that the saws get shipped with just the plate, saves on shipping that way. For both parties.
That could be a problem for some saws, for example take an Adria Dovetail Saw, the saw builder (at least for his Dovetail saw), never intended for the saw handle to be removed. I ran smack into that problem.

lowell holmes
01-14-2016, 8:03 AM
I Googled "handsaw sharpening Washington State" and there are several services. Have you checked them out?

steven c newman
01-17-2016, 11:31 AM
The only reason Robert likes the handles off the saws....saves on shipping for both the customer, and Robert. One CAN leave the handles on, IF they wish. He also rebuilds saws.

Ray Newman
01-21-2016, 5:15 PM
Gents: thanks for the info and referrals..