PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 problem

Robert Willing
01-11-2016, 4:43 PM
I upgraded to windows 10 about 2 months ago and now my internal DVD will not work. I have spent countless hours with Dell Tech Support and no answers. Need help. They say age of computer 2012 and windows is the problem but they can not fix the problem.

Mike Henderson
01-11-2016, 5:22 PM
I can't help you with that, but external USB connected (and powered) DVD drives are pretty cheap. The use of DVDs seems to be declining.

Mike

Kev Williams
01-11-2016, 5:29 PM
Might just be the DVD is bad. Last month during a local recycle day I must've threw out 8 or 10 old CD and DVD drives from over the years that quit working.

Chuck Wintle
01-11-2016, 5:35 PM
I upgraded to windows 10 about 2 months ago and now my internal DVD will not work. I have spent countless hours with Dell Tech Support and no answers. Need help. They say age of computer 2012 and windows is the problem but they can not fix the problem.

restore windows 7 to eliminate the problem? or as some have said it could be a hardware problem. can you try another dvd drive?

Duane Meadows
01-11-2016, 7:18 PM
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060 Try number five?

Allan Speers
01-11-2016, 8:26 PM
If it worked for 2 months, then it's obviously not a problem with the age of your PC.

Some online techs are seriously clueless.

Have you tried wiping the boot drive & installing clean? (use "diskpart" during the installation. - See the Microsoft tech pages for how to do this fairly simple routine.)

Or for a quickie: Try updating (or just deleting and re-installing) your drivers. (All of them, not just the one for the external drives.)

Also check / reinstall your BIOS. A corrupted BIOS will usually (not always) result in your clock's time going off, so that's a big clue. But even without that, its settings could change, and that could affect the SATA setting for you drives, which could then cause weird problems with an optical drive even if your other drives are working.

Curt Harms
01-12-2016, 8:24 AM
I can't help you with that, but external USB connected (and powered) DVD drives are pretty cheap. The use of DVDs seems to be declining.

Mike

That's good advice. It's tough to trouble shoot a device when you only have one and can't swap another. I have a Samsung USB DVD and it seems as fast (if optical drives can be called fast:D) as SATA internal DVDs. I think DVD/BluRay still have a place for O.S. install and archiving.

Todd Mason-Darnell
01-12-2016, 10:06 AM
It is most likely the hardware and not the software. DVD hardware failures are the #1 component failures on PCs.

Spend the $15-20 for a replacement DVD from Amazon. They are very easy to install and are plug n play.

Curt Harms
01-13-2016, 8:14 AM
It is most likely the hardware and not the software. DVD hardware failures are the #1 component failures on PCs.

Spend the $15-20 for a replacement DVD from Amazon. They are very easy to install and are plug n play.

They're easy as long as you know the difference between IDE & SATA. A 2012 machine seems likely to be SATA but it'd be good to check before ordering. If there's a connector with a whole bunch of holes in the cable connector about 2" wide it's most likely IDE. If the cable from the motherboard to the back of the drive is pretty small with another similar cable going to the hard drive, it's most likely SATA. If in doubt, you could check google or wikipedia for pictures.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Every PC sold in the last 5 years should use SATA cables.
SATA has been around about 10 years or so.

Curt Harms
01-14-2016, 8:27 AM
Every PC sold in the last 5 years should use SATA cables.
SATA has been around about 10 years or so.

It should be SATA but it doesn't hurt to check. I have a Gigabyte MoBo with 6 SATA ports. Two of them seem to operate in IDE mode. If I plug a SATA DVD into one of the SATA ports that isn't running in IDE mode, a Windows DVD won't boot.

Robert Willing
01-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all of the input. If you turn off your computer and restart it hold down the F12 key and it will tell you what drive you have.. Just hit the esc key and you will return to start up.