PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm in trouble! What do I do?

Wade Lippman
01-11-2016, 11:24 AM
I was cleaning out my Google Voice spam folder and found two of these from December and two from October:
"Hey, and this message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury intending you're serious attention ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt to avoid initial appearance before a magistrate judge or a grand Julie for a federal criminal offense my number is 770-884-4955 I repeat It's 770-884-4955 I advise you to cooperate with us and help us to help you thank you. Hi, My name is David Great, and this message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury intending you're serious attention ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt to avoid initial appearance before a magistrate judge or a grand Julie for a federal criminal offense my number is 770-884-4955 I repeat It's 770-884-4955 I advise you to cooperate with us and help us to help you thank you. Hi, My name is David Great, and this message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury intending you're serious attention ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt to avoid initial appearance before a magistrate judge or a grand Julie for a federal criminal offense my number is 770-884-4955 I repeat It's 770-884-4955 I advise you to cooperate with us and help us to help you thank you."

The Oct and Dec ones had different numbers and names, so apparently there are two investigations. Will they believe me that the messages went to spam?

:)

Alan Rutherford
01-11-2016, 11:27 AM
You're not serious, are you? Google "Hey, and this message is intended to contact you regarding" and stop worrying. Don't call anybody.

Michael Weber
01-11-2016, 11:50 AM
:pNo, he's not serious.

Mel Fulks
01-11-2016, 12:00 PM
That guy hired a good editor who was able to get that message down to "give me your money!"

Jim Koepke
01-11-2016, 12:21 PM
And just who is this Grand Julie?

Federal prosecutors do not send emails to people being investigated. You usually find out about them with a knock upon your door.

jtk

Alan Rutherford
01-11-2016, 12:22 PM
:pNo, he's not serious.

That's a relief. I apologize for doubting your ability to know too-dumb-to-take-seriously when you see it, Mr. Lippman. We like to think we're all reasonably intelligent adults and then you see the emails otherwise-intelligent people send around and you wonder what it is that makes people so gullible when they get in front of a computer.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Sadly...there are those who fall for these type of scams.

I know of people who fell for the scam that a family member was in a car wreck in Canada, in touble with the law and needed money to make bail. They wired several hundred dollars to either a K-Mart or Walmart in Canada.

paul cottingham
01-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Never been summoned before the Grand Julie before. I wonder if she is fun?

Jim Huelskoetter
01-11-2016, 12:59 PM
I had a call recently from a person with a very heavy Indian accent, who said something like: "I'm from the security department of your computer hard drive.". Unfortunately, my laughter may have given him a hint to improve his story.

Wade Lippman
01-11-2016, 4:21 PM
Never been summoned before the Grand Julie before. I wonder if she is fun?

Google Voice doesn't always get it quite right. Interestingly, on all 4 voice mails they got it as Julie. At least they are consistent.

Jerome Stanek
01-11-2016, 5:19 PM
I think they messed up the phone number as Cincinnati is 740 not 770